PDA

View Full Version : Potential Future Discus Owner

msheresy
10-04-2012, 12:00 AM
75961I recently acquired the tank in the pic. I was told it is a 35g. Would this be suitable for discus? What would be some stocking suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
10-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Normally it's suggested that you keep a half a dozen discus to spread out aggression. 10 gallons of water per adult discus is also the general rule of thumb. You could keep a half dozen juvenile discus in a tank that size for a while, but it's normally a lot easier for a beginner to start out with adult fish...less water changes needed and they're more forgiving than juvies.

msheresy
10-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Well that's unfortunate, that was a main reasons I scooped this one up. I don't think my cichlids would like it very much....lol

msheresy
10-04-2012, 12:36 AM
I am religious about water changes......

Keith Perkins
10-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Well, a half dozen two inch discus could be happy in there for a fair amount of time. Long enough at least for you to scoop up a 55, or better yet a 75.

damba
10-04-2012, 02:16 AM
As above but keep up on the water changes. Try and use the biggest external you can also.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
Coffee please - black and strong in pint mugs, for best results at least 6 a day.

msheresy
10-04-2012, 11:18 PM
When you say 55 or 75 are you referring to the regular long tanks? I thought I read somewhere that they do better in the tall ones. Was I misinformed? If I decided to do juvies ill still need a lid and I can't find one. Suggestions. 75969 ?? Just I said previously, it is a 35g but that's what I was told so I've not even sure.

Keith Perkins
10-05-2012, 12:05 AM
55s are cheap on Craigslists normally, I suggested that only because you seemed budget minded when it came to picking up tanks given the story with the one you picked up. Don't get me wrong, almost everyone loves a deal on a tank. Height isn't the problem with a 55, depth is. A 55 measures 12 inches front to back, where a 75 is 18. The extra depth is what discus seem to enjoy, not height.

Now as for a top for the current one. Others may have a better suggestion, but if it was me I'd have one made. Personally I know a glazier and I'd bring them a template of what I want and just have them cut one for me. You'll likely need other things like a heater and I'd combine an order at someplace like Foster and Smiths and buy a hinge strip to go with cut glass and be good to go with the current tank.

HTHs
Keith

msheresy
10-05-2012, 12:38 AM
I have a LOT of tanks but yes, I'm always scooping up new ones for free or extra cheap. Rough planning now for a future basement fishroom. Ok so as far as standard aquariums go, a 75 gallon is best. What about the big cube shaped? Are there any other "fancy" shapes that they can thrive in?

bogia99
10-05-2012, 01:33 PM
talk about fancy setup, I think I saw on youtube the inverted fish tank. Too advance for my taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tq4LRurMs

or this one -> very interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Gk7rTn8D9bY&NR=1

Keith Perkins
10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a LOT of tanks but yes, I'm always scooping up new ones for free or extra cheap. Rough planning now for a future basement fishroom. Ok so as far as standard aquariums go, a 75 gallon is best. What about the big cube shaped? Are there any other "fancy" shapes that they can thrive in?

I wouldn't go as far as to say the 75 is the best tank, but it is an extremely good one and definitely considerably better than a 55. I've got a 72 bow I like, but you'll see good comments about just about any tank size from there on up.

Trier20
10-06-2012, 03:11 AM
I wouldn't go as far as to say the 75 is the best tank, but it is an extremely good one and definitely considerably better than a 55. I've got a 72 bow I like, but you'll see good comments about just about any tank size from there on up.

Agreed. A 75 is a good tank. Just think about how many discus you think you're going to want and add room for a couple more because chances are you'll find something else you "have to have". 10g per adult discus. Start at that thought and go from there.