PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations on how to make these sink?

sam86
10-04-2012, 09:17 AM
I love these FDBW, but man...i can't keep them from floating!

Is there anything I can do, outside of buying a feeding cone?

laupao
10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
are u referring to the loose or the cubed?

if it's loose, take a small pinch with your fingers..submerge it under the water and squeeze.. that helps in sinking it more quickly

it it's cubed.,.. just press them against the glass

Chicago Discus
10-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I love these FDBW, but man...i can't keep them from floating!

Is there anything I can do, outside of buying a feeding cone?

The feeding cone is the best way to go if your feeding loose it keeps them from getting all over the tank......Josie

Kingdom Come Discus
10-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Cubes work best for me!!!

ExReefer
10-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Is it an overflow problem? Just wondering why you want them to sink.

sam86
10-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm using the cubes. I've been sticking them to the side, but they tend to come undone, and float to the top. Maybe I need to adjust the way i'm sticking them.

I'm looking for them to sink due to my discus not really eating from the top of the tank. it could be that they're not used to it...not sure.

YSS
10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I soak them for a few minutes before dumping them in the tank.

ExReefer
10-04-2012, 11:21 AM
How many days have you tried to feed this food off the surface?

Brent1972
10-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Mine won't take them from the surface ( tried for a week) so now I boil some tank water drop the worms in for 5 mins and chuck in tank. The fish love to chase them around the tank. I also use the cubes pushed onto the glass.

sam86
10-04-2012, 11:41 AM
How many days have you tried to feed this food off the surface?

I just received them yesterday.

DiscusBR
10-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I love to feed Alīs FDBWs with my hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CSjHrxebLw

ExReefer
10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I'll be surprised if they don't start taking them from the surface in a few more days. I've found that discus that won't feed from the surface are either sick or uncomfortable. Sick fish are never comfortable. If they are healthy, but just not comfortable in the tank, then it could be anything from water quality to bright lighting. Sometimes too much foot traffic near the tank can make them uncomfortable.

My group of 5" Blue Scorps arrived from Kenny about a month ago. I started out by sticking the cubes to the glass. I posted of video of them eating them off the glass in Kenny's forum. Now, I just throw the cubes in tank and watch them tear them apart. This group of six will eat two cubes off the surface within five mins. and no remaining scraps/looses worms will be found within a total of ten mins.

Bottom line - healthy, comfortable discus will take this food off the surface.

sam86
10-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Very jealous! I've only had mine for less than a week. I suppose they'll brave up a little with time.

ExReefer
10-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Very jealous! I've only had mine for less than a week. I suppose they'll brave up a little with time.

If they are healthy and comfortable in their surroundings, they will eventually hammer these worms off the surface.

I keep my new arrivals in my fish room with very little foot traffic and dim lighting. This allows them to get comfortable with me very quickly. Once they are comfortable, it's easy to get them used to eating a variety of foods. I didn't used to do it this way and I had issues. With my current group, I've had no issues. They are eating FDBW's, NLS pellets, prime reef flake, and BH right before a WC. Having them eating all those dry foods makes my life easier. It's quick to feed and the tank stays cleaner with those foods.

DiscusBR
10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I've found that discus that won't feed from the surface are either sick or uncomfortable. Sick fish are never comfortable.

That is not always the case and thre might be a significant difference between wilds and domestics. After 18 months in my tank, only one of my 7 Cuipeuas will eat stuff floating in the surface. And even her will do it very carefully.

Yeap, give them time and they will be very brave :)

sam86
10-04-2012, 02:16 PM
haha, i feel like an idiot, they proved me wrong. Sure enough, like little vacuums, they've cleaned the surface. I'm a bit worried now - it sounded like one attempted to jump out of the tank - i heard a loud splash!

ExReefer
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
That is not always the case and thre might be a significant difference between wilds and domestics. After 18 months in my tank, only one of my 7 Cuipeuas will eat stuff floating in the surface. And even her will do it very carefully.

Well, we can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. I kept wild browns for while and they eventually ate loose FDBW's off the surface. It took them longer to get comfortable enough to do so, but I also kept them in a display tank with heavy foot traffic from day one. That was my mistake.

I got some wild Frontosa early this summer. For most of the summer, they would hide in the rocks and only eat with very dim lighting. It was a long road, but eventually, they got comfortable. They don't hide anymore and they will even eat from the surface. Keep in mind that these were wild caught fish that lived in deep waters. They adapted just like all fish will do if they remain healthy. They still spook if someone approaches them too quickly, but it's much, much less than when I first got them. BTW - I'm a big fan of Frontosa. Love the black stripes!

Brent1972
10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Bottom line - healthy, comfortable discus will take this food off the surface.

I totally disagree with this statement , All my fish come to the front when anyone goes near the tanks . They will eat out of my hand no problem at all.Just because they won't eat FDBW of the surface does not mean they are not healthy. Here is one of my fish http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?99349-Please-rate-my-fish

Does it look Healthy ?? or Sick ??

ExReefer
10-04-2012, 07:19 PM
I totally disagree with this statement , All my fish come to the front when anyone goes near the tanks . They will eat out of my hand no problem at all.Just because they won't eat FDBW of the surface does not mean they are not healthy. Here is one of my fish http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?99349-Please-rate-my-fish

Does it look Healthy ?? or Sick ??

Your fish look great! So when you feed them off the surface, do they ignore the food? I wonder if you only fed from the surface if they would eventually come around. I bet they would if you gave them no option.

YSS
10-04-2012, 07:43 PM
If they are healthy and comfortable in their surroundings, they will eventually hammer these worms off the surface.

They could be healthy but not comfortable eating from the surface. Discus are natual grazers. Anything you do to change animal's natural instinct is not comfortable for the animal. They will eventually adapt. I have wild discus in my tank. Only a couple will eat from the surface. The rest are just happy grazing the bottom or eat the food as it sinks. I suppose if the food never sank and is always floating on the top, they will all start eating from the surface, but I guess there is no need for my fish to risk their lives by trying to eat from the surface, wild discus that is.