PDA

View Full Version : Metro treatment procedure for hex

Big-Ken
10-04-2012, 03:18 PM
*filled out questionnaire post #17*

It looks like I have a case of hex so I ordered 100g of metro from jehmco, I did alot of searching on here about dosing and I just want to make sure I have this right. I will be treating a 90g tank with 8 discus ranging from 3.5-4.5"

I'm going to dose the tank once a day after a 90% water change, I will dose 1 heaping tsp for 10 days (i read on here that the jehmco metro is 1/2 tsp per 41 gallons)

Does this sound right?? Also my heater is not able to get up to 92 degrees and I have cories is it alright to treat at 87 degrees?? Should I treat longer due to this??

laupao
10-04-2012, 03:54 PM
if you are treating the entire 90g tank, you're going to be using more metro.

did the instruction tell you how many mg equals 1/2 tsp?

What I've did in the past for a metro treatment is, slowly raise the tank to 92 (withing a course of 3-4 days)
Day 1 AM - dose 500mg per 10 gallons of water
Day 1 PM - 50% WC, redose 500mg per gallons of water

Day 2 AM - dose 500mg per 10 gallons of water
Day 2 PM - 50% WC, redose 500mg per gallons of water

Day 3 AM - dose 500mg per 10 gallons of water
Day 3 PM - 50% WC, redose 500mg per gallons of water

Day 4 AM - dose 500mg per 10 gallons of water
Day 4 PM - 50% WC, redose 500mg per gallons of water

Day 5 AM - dose 500mg per 10 gallons of water
Day 5 PM - 50% WC, redose 500mg per gallons of water

Day 6 AM - dose 500mg per 10 gallons of water
Day 6 PM - 50% WC, redose 500mg per gallons of water

Day 7 AM - dose 500mg per 10 gallons of water
Day 7 PM - 50% WC, redose 500mg per gallons of water

Day 8-14th .. keep the temp at 92

Day 9, begin to slowly lower the tank temp

During the course of treatment, if the fish is interested in eating.. give them a little bit of favorite food. But don't feed them a whole lot.

hth

BobDaniel
10-04-2012, 04:19 PM
If your fish are eating, some metro in the food makes sense. I think the medicine shows more benefit if taken in the food (just my opinion). You know it gets to where it needs to be when mixed into the food. I would take about 1/2 gram metro and work it into some finely cut beefheart and mash it in with a mortar and pestal. You can freeze after blending. Feed it twice a day for six days.

ZX10R
10-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I do 500 mg per 10 gallons once a day after a 30% WC for 10 days and leave my temp set at 84. And lots of clean water after those 10 days!!!!!

Big-Ken
10-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Laupoa- I can't do 92 degrees and ive read from multiple respected members on SD that the double dose is not needed and can lead to metro resistant hex

Bob-.I have never fed beef heart due to its messyness and I can't do multiple water changes per day to keep it from fouling the water, can I soak flake in metro??

ZX10R- Is there a reason for the 30% water change as opposed to a larger one, my understanding metro loses its effectivness after 24 hours

Bill63SG
10-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Also my heater is not able to get up to 92 degrees and I have cories is it alright to treat at 87 degrees?What's more important?A couple of $ worth of cories,Or hundreds of $ worth of discus.Plenty here belive you dont have to raise the temp.Guy I first got mine from did,so thats how I do it.If you can,drop your water level in tank to half so you dont have to use as much meds.And If you decide to up the temp,add an airstone or two.

Big-Ken
10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I agree about the cories its more that my heater just won't go that high and I don't want to have to buy a new heater if I don't have to

Thanks for the thought of dropping the water, I'll need to reposition my canister intake and output but that's not a problem

Chicago Discus
10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I think raising your temperature will not make the medication work faster or speed up the recovery. I do think that raising you temperature can cause bacterial blooms and a weaken fish will fall susceptible to the bacteria and can cause more problems in the long run. If I we you I would fill out the questioner and maybe people can chime in and give you some more advise. This is just my opinion from my expirence I'm not an expert or an aquatic veterinarian......Josie

jimg
10-04-2012, 06:40 PM
If your fish are eating, some metro in the food makes sense. I think the medicine shows more benefit if taken in the food (just my opinion). You know it gets to where it needs to be when mixed into the food. I would take about 1/2 gram metro and work it into some finely cut beefheart and mash it in with a mortar and pestal. You can freeze after blending. Feed it twice a day for six days.+1 always better to treat internal than in water
but I still do both food if their eating and in the water for 7-10 days. raising the temp does help but I usually wait until the 5 day to raise it to 88+. I do 1 dose a day 400mg/10gal about 90% wc if that's not possible I have had just as good results with about 25% or so wc's

Big-Ken
10-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I'll fill it out as soon as I get home, Josie you may not consider yourself an "expert" but in the short time I've been here I consider you a respected member and take your opinions as such

Big-Ken
10-04-2012, 06:53 PM
+1 always better to treat internal than in water
but I still do both food if their eating and in the water for 7-10 days. raising the temp does help but I usually wait until the 5 day to raise it to 88+. I do 1 dose a day 400mg/10gal about 90% wc if that's not possible I have had just as good results with about 25% or so wc's
so if I drain the tank down halfway (45g) I would dose 1800mg once per day with a 90% wc between doses, could I take the 1800mg and pre-dissolve in a small bowl then add flake to the bowl to soak then dump the whole thing in the tank?? Or does it need to be mixed into a beef heart mix??

Bill63SG
10-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I've never had luck with meicated food.My fish always seemed to loose thier appitites,so wouldnt eat it during the doseing.

jimg
10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
so if I drain the tank down halfway (45g) I would dose 1800mg once per day with a 90% wc between doses, could I take the 1800mg and per-dissolve in a small bowl then add flake to the bowl to soak then dump the whole thing in the tank?? Or does it need to be mixed into a beef heart mix??no treat all 90 gallons. heavy 1/4 tsp per 20gal.I use pre-made metro flake. when i use bh I use it in there. another thing I do is soak freeze dried black worms in a small amount of warm water with a pinch of metro.no reason to pre dissolve just add to tank,before or after adding water don't matter.
i agree with bill too, most times when metro is needed fish aren't eating. but most times metro works for flagellates in about 3-5 days and when they do start to eat then give it. the other time I use it in food is when they are fine and i clean them every so often or newly arrived fish

Big-Ken
10-04-2012, 07:42 PM
As of right now everyone is still eating, the one showing the most symptoms is eating but with less gusto. Jehmco is shipping the metro tomorrow so I should get it Monday

Big-Ken
10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I meant drain halfway and keep it that way for the duration of the treatment to save meds as Bill suggested

ZX10R
10-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I've never had luck with meicated food.My fish always seemed to loose thier appitites,so wouldnt eat it during the doseing.

Same here

Big-Ken
10-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

new discus started turning darker, white poop, and hiding about 2 days ago

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Turning dark, white stringy segmented poop, hiding, eating less, clamped fins, 1 cloudy eye

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None, I have metro on the way

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

90g, 2 years old, 8 discus 3.5-4.5" and 9 emerald cories

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

90% wc every two days, 1" pool filter sand, straight tap no pH swing

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____ 83°

- ph _____ 7.4

- ammonia reading ____ 0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____ <5

- well water- no

- municiple water- yes

I have moved the 3 fish showing symptoms into a hospital tank for the time being, if the rest of the fish start showing signs I will move them back into the display tank and treat everyone unless you all think I should just treat everyone anyways