PDA

View Full Version : Arowana and discus

Rtg
10-11-2012, 10:03 AM
What do you think they can get along golden arowana and a group of discus? I'm imagin that would be nice combination

DiscusLoverJeff
10-11-2012, 11:52 AM
A while back (15 years ago) I had a silver arowana with my discus in a 150 gal tank and it did fine until it got over 8 inches. It then proceeded to eat everything in the tank, splash water everywhere and feeding it a dozen goldfish every other day did not help for the cleanliness of the tank.

I knew it would one day out grow the tank but I had a friend who had a 450 gal tank and I gave it to him. It then grew out of his tank.

So, they are ok to have but watch the aggression when it gets bigger and eats more and more.

***I would advise not to put juvies in the tank when the arowana gets bigger as they will be a nice dessert for him***

damba
10-11-2012, 11:52 AM
The arowana may eat them. If you start with young aro you maybe ok. I wouldnt risk it.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
Coffee please - black and strong in pint mugs, for best results at least 6 a day.

Chicago Discus
10-11-2012, 12:33 PM
NO

Baygon
10-11-2012, 01:08 PM
It is always best to just keep discus alone.

DiscusDrew
10-11-2012, 01:09 PM
NO
Simplest and best answer out there...

DiscusLoverJeff
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Just a clip I found.

The size of the tank is unknown, but looks pretty big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDtxcn5TAOw

Still would not chance it though. I had only one arowana, here are several.

Look at all the beautiful discus though.

DLock3d
10-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Nice video, cool arowana. Decent looking discus.

Len
10-11-2012, 04:41 PM
There are some species that are found in the Amazon River. Your best bet would be to find someone who has kept them together and ask what their results were. That way you will be getting real world advice from someone with the experience to back up their reasoning.

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go

a volar
10-12-2012, 04:17 AM
BIG NO!

Rtg
10-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all opinion , as I am new to discus and they aren't not that cheap fish so I decided to keep arowana alone and just bought another tank for discus only thats so true arowana eating smaller fish but they look very nice together thinking about 6-9 discus in group but don't want to get the same color do you guy have any idea what kind of discus would you keep?

Eddie
10-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all opinion , as I am new to discus and they aren't not that cheap fish so I decided to keep arowana alone and just bought another tank for discus only thats so true arowana eating smaller fish but they look very nice together thinking about 6-9 discus in group but don't want to get the same color do you guy have any idea what kind of discus would you keep?

There are so many color varieties, its up to you to decide what kind you like.

bearrock
11-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a silver arowana with my discus now. The discus could care less about the Aro and the Aro could care less about the discus. As long as you keep the Aro well fed and have him pellet trained from an early age you should be fine. I have owned several arowanas and they have all been tame if well fed.

I do feed the arowana before the discus to keep him from gulping mouth-fulls of the discus food, but other than that the discus run the tank. Buy the Aro at a very young age <6" and do not feed live fish.....(bad idea no matter how you look at it).

Also I think you are talking about an African Arowana.......There is no "golden Arowana".

I tried posting a picture but I keep getting errors. The file is either to large or not a URL. Can we not post pictures via photo-bucket?

Len
11-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I have a silver arowana with my discus now. The discus could care less about the Aro and the Aro could care less about the discus. As long as you keep the Aro well fed and have him pellet trained from an early age you should be fine. I have owned several arowanas and they have all been tame if well fed.

I do feed the arowana before the discus to keep him from gulping mouth-fulls of the discus food, but other than that the discus run the tank. Buy the Aro at a very young age <6" and do not feed live fish.....(bad idea no matter how you look at it).

Also I think you are talking about an African Arowana.......There is no "golden Arowana".

I tried posting a picture but I keep getting errors. The file is either to large or not a URL. Can we not post pictures via photo-bucket?

uncheck Retrieve remote file and reference locally when you upload and it should be fine.

bearrock
11-04-2012, 03:07 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/mfetter/Tank1-1.jpg

bearrock
11-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks Len! Sorry for the crappy picture it is the only recent one I have and came from a blackberry cell----I just moved everyone to a 150gal yesterday but the discus are still alittle stressed and I did not want the peanut gallery to start with SEE THEY ARE STRESSED BECAUSE OF THE ARO.

If you look closely you can see the deformed runt in the bottom right. On a good day he is about 1.5" and swims at the rate of a one legged turtle.....If he can make it in a tank with an Arowana anything can.

bonsai dave
11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I have kept 33" sliver arowana with discus for 3 years and didn't have a problem They were housed in a 470 gallon tank. The arowana left the discus alone and only time he notice them is when it came to feeding.

sheaspina
11-21-2012, 02:24 AM
I suppose it may vary depending on the specific type of arowana as well. The jardini/Australian for example have a reputation for going on a murderous rampage when they come of age. That said, my silver has only ever been combative with fish of similar size & form that it perceives as a possible territorial threat (clown knife in this case, which he left alone once it started holding its ground). Aside from that, he's always been completely passive with tank mates (he's lived with rays, Oscars, dempseys, tetras etc). As others have said, this is all assuming he is well fed & content. I'm sure you can get away with keeping then together (a silver anyway, have no idea about asians), but I would strongly suggest having some experience with each independently before attempting it. Just my 2c. :)

DerekFF
11-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Theyre fine together. Arrows just get crazy as sh!t at feeding time

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

bearrock
11-24-2012, 11:51 AM
My Aro is scared of EVERYTHING......You can not have anything red near the tank.....he freaks when you do water changes (even though I do three a week).....Randomly freaks out when there is nothing around the tank.......

DerekFF
11-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Arrows wont eat full grown discus unless theyre like 3 feet long then MAYBE there may be some danger, but still doubtful. Its easy for people here to say no, because they try to be purists. The truth is theyre fine together in terms of compatability. Its just that large arrows get crazy sometimes, discus or no discus in the tank. And discus tend not to like the crazy moments. Theres the truth for you

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

GrayLadyPat
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
I tend to be in the "No" group...

Not because I don't like them or because I think they're poor tank mates for discus (which they are) however.... Arrowanas are generally too large for any home aquarium. They grow fast, they have HUGE mouths, and they are voracious eaters. IMHO, they belong in large, public aquariums or in the wild. Home hobbyists usually aren't equipped for them.

Having said that, they are truly one of the more interesting fish to watch, and a bit of trivia: The world's most expensive fish is a snow white arrowana in SE Asia...they were offered hundreds of thousands for it and turned them down :D

ROOK45
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I'd say it depends on the type of Arowana you plan on acquiring to cohab with your discus. I think silvers and blacks would be ok. Asian and Australian would be a big "NO" they're way too aggressive.

billyboy
02-13-2013, 02:10 AM
I HAD THEM TOGETHER OVER 2 YEARS BUT ARO GETS BIGGER WAY TOO FAST. SO I GAVE HIM TO SOMEWHERE ELSE AFTER IT GOT 12 INCHES LONG. THEY GROW UP IN THE SAME TANK FOR 2 YEARS NO PROBLEM AT ALL. VIDEO WAS TAKEN JUST BEFORE ARO LEFT THE TANK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pklycfmcTX4&list=UUBrHC1Syy8h2JN-piH580ww&index=22