PDA

View Full Version : Choosing discus

kreekree
10-13-2012, 07:35 PM
My 11 year old son has always had fish tanks in his room. We decided to try discus fish. Currently have two discus (red blooded pigeon and cobalt). Our plan is to add additional fish now that we have done our real research. Our plan is to take a trip to Ohio since we have not seen any Michigan breeders ( minus the 2 discus we got at the fish store near us....won't be doing that again). My son wants all different discus so eventually we have a very colorful tank in his room. My question is do many show tanks have a variety of discus or do many stick to just a couple different ones? Do they do better if there pairs of the same strain or can we mix them all up?

Eddie
10-13-2012, 07:39 PM
My 11 year old son has always had fish tanks in his room. We decided to try discus fish. Currently have two discus (red blooded pigeon and cobalt). Our plan is to add additional fish now that we have done our real research. Our plan is to take a trip to Ohio since we have not seen any Michigan breeders ( minus the 2 discus we got at the fish store near us....won't be doing that again). My son wants all different discus so eventually we have a very colorful tank in his room. My question is do many show tanks have a variety of discus or do many stick to just a couple different ones? Do they do better if there pairs of the same strain or can we mix them all up?

It's entirely a personal preference. Many hobbyists like to have a whole bunch of different colors and some like to have one type.

discuspaul
10-13-2012, 08:09 PM
In addition to what Eddie mentioned, yes there are many discus-keepers who keep a single strain tank, and many others who carry a variety of strains/colors together, as a matter of personal preference.
And discus are not at all fussy about pairing up with different strains or colors. That's how so many new varieties were eventually developed.
Currently, I have 3 different strains together, just because I like the color contrast - although I have kept several tanks with just a single strain.
It just so happens that my 2 Blue Diamonds just recently spawned, and a pair of Red Snakeskins also spawned almost immediately after. They just didn't happen to mix and match -lol.
Here's some pics, if you care to have a look:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/lolliblues2

Keith Perkins
10-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Where are you located in Michigan? There's at least one good breeder in MI, Nc0gnet0 is near Grand Rapids.

kreekree
10-14-2012, 09:03 AM
I didn't see him in there. Can someone clue me in on how to find him. :)

Wes
10-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I didn't see him in there. Can someone clue me in on how to find him. :)
nc0gnet0
He is a home breeder. On th SD home page look for his name(nc0gnet0) in the members visited, its in red. Click on the name and his profile page will come up. Left side under the name on the profile page click send private message. Rick will see it when he gets back on line.

Keith Perkins
10-14-2012, 09:27 AM
I think you confused the words breeder and sponsor in your first post. Rick (Nc0gnet0) is not a sponsor, but he is a rather successful breeder. He is a homesteader so you can scroll down to that section and check him out, and the easiest way to contact him is to send him a private message.

Poco
10-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Here is a link to his homestead

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?238-The-Mutt-Motel-(nc0gnet0)-Michigan-USA

nc0gnet0
10-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Can I first ask where you are located and what size are the fish you currently have? yes I do have some fry/young juveniles for sale, but I would not recommend placing them with adult fish.

Rick

kreekree
10-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Live in Ann Arbor. Currently we have a red blooded pigeon and a cobalt in a 40 gallon tank. We were told to start off with 2 and that the smaller ones would be just fine....then we found this website. Currently we are looking for at least a 75 gallon tank on craigslist so that we can move the juvenilles to a larger display tank.