PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Discus With Rummy Nose In The Tank

GABBA MAFIA
10-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi. This is my first post on these forums. I use a few other forums and I was referred here. My question is fairly straight forward. I have a 125G tank with four Discus (planning on getting a few more) and approx. 16 Rummy Nose Tetra. Now, my question is in regards to feeding the Discus. The Rummy Nose are quite fast and aggressive eaters and it would seem that they are taking all the food before the Discus get a chance to eat any. Or, alternatively, it seems the Tetra are spooking the Discus.

How would one normally feed the Discus with Tetra in the tank?

The Rummy Nose really fill the tank as they all school together, but should I contemplate removing them?

zimmjeff
10-14-2012, 08:39 AM
No need to remove the rummy nose. All you need to do is spread the food around, should be easy in a 125. Also make sure to feed enough so that everyone gets some food. good luck Jeff.

Eddie
10-14-2012, 01:10 PM
This is all dependent on the age/size of your discus. If they are young, it would be best to remove the tetras as you want the discus to get as much food as possible to grow out. How long have you had the discus?

jimg
10-14-2012, 01:42 PM
No need to remove the rummy nose. All you need to do is spread the food around, should be easy in a 125. Also make sure to feed enough so that everyone gets some food. good luck Jeff.+1
I have had roughly a dozen at a time in with discus from 2"up in a planted tank. rummy nose always stayed in the background and wait their turn.

camuth8
10-14-2012, 04:21 PM
I have tetras in my tank, and I put the food in one part of the tank where all the tetras flock to, and then put some where the discus are.

GABBA MAFIA
10-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi. Thanks for the replies. The discus I have in the tank are not very old I don't think. They wernt the smallest at the LFS. From top of the fin to the bottom of the fish is about 2.3".

Currently I am trying to spread enough food over the tank so that all fish can get something. The tetra are aggressive eaters and defiantly do not sit back and wait their turn. They are up the top waiting for me to drop the food in. The discus on the other hand stay right away and wait for any food to drop to the bottom (which is annoying as I have to use both flakes and sinking food) and even then they will not eat it immediatly. I don't like the idea of having to put that much food in as it can't be good for the water.

I want to know if I should remove the tetra. The general consensus is that I leave them in there.

On a side note I have had the discus in the tank for about a week and a half if that makes a difference.

Eddie
10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi. Thanks for the replies. The discus I have in the tank are not very old I don't think. They wernt the smallest at the LFS. From top of the fin to the bottom of the fish is about 2.3".

Currently I am trying to spread enough food over the tank so that all fish can get something. The tetra are aggressive eaters and defiantly do not sit back and wait their turn. They are up the top waiting for me to drop the food in. The discus on the other hand stay right away and wait for any food to drop to the bottom (which is annoying as I have to use both flakes and sinking food) and even then they will not eat it immediatly. I don't like the idea of having to put that much food in as it can't be good for the water.

I want to know if I should remove the tetra. The general consensus is that I leave them in there.

On a side note I have had the discus in the tank for about a week and a half if that makes a difference.

You can do as other suggested but I'm still pushing to take them out since your fish are more than likely young at 2", otherwise they are stunted. Young fish should be grown out before tankmates are added in my opinion. The main goal is to grow the fish out nicely and prevent stunting.