AquaticSuppliers.com     Aquatic foods

View RSS Feed

rickztahone

Following the Goh Fine Line Leopard Snakes babies Blog

Rate this Entry
Here you will find random entries about the development of the group of 25 little ones. No full long winded entries, simply a small update here and there. Enjoy

Updated 08-10-2015 at 11:44 AM by rickztahone

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Not a picture update but I do have a couple of udates. The Cuipeua cross is starting to show a cool blue sheen around the face. I had never noticed this prior but it looks really nice. It is also my largest discus now at 5.5". I am yet to measure one other fellow who could possibly contend in size, but he may not remain a contender for long.

Here's why; a total of 4 fish have been over in one corner of a tank and shimming from time to time. I have seen this group of 4 right near my bulkhead and picking at it. They hardly eat now due to this activity they have going on in the right side of the tank.

As many of you know, I do not plan on breeding, so this behavior is one I wish they weren't participating in, but who am I to tell them to stop trying to breed? I will let them do their thing, but as of late, I have been feeding the group less because these 4 hardly have an appetite as of late. They would rather shimmy, clean on their side. Always on the right side too and the Cuipeua dominates the left side.

I will keep you guys updated, but I don't like that they have not had the best appetite.
    Approximately 8 month old group. This may be the last photo session showing all 13 discus. The last thinning of the herd will happen in the next week or two and I will be down to the final 8. It is going to be a difficult decision. The largest one in the group now is the Cuipeua Cross for sure at a little over 5.5". You can base the size of the others off of this one. I chose to do a shoot with no flash what-so-ever so I had to push the ISO pretty high up. Sorry about that but didn't feel like taking all the gear out.

Discus Group ~8 Months Old by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    Not the same one as the previous picture
    Probably the tallest of the group, but smallest in length.

Group shots. Not all discus were pictured above. A lot of the nice and round 14 bars weren't cooperating in the individual shots:

...and then there were 8! Sold the last 5 today. Didn't want to let any of them go, but knew I had to. They have gone on to a better tank, hopefully he will post pics soon of his setup.

This is a video I took yesterday of all of them before they were separated:

DSC06813 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC06814 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC06815 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC06821 by Rick Vasquez, on
    Vasquez[/url], on FlickrDSC06824 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    10 months old:
    Had a 24hr power outage 2 days ago. Read about it here:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...utage-Survival

All discus have survived and don't seem to be affected by it one bit.
    past the one year mark:
    Amazing job Rick in growing these out. Some really nice one in this video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El
    Amazing job Rick in growing these out. Some really nice one in this video.
    Thanks Saykhem! I have put a lot of time in to this group and am enjoying them daily.
    1yr and 4 months:

01/15/17
    Update: I lost a discus yesterday! Wouldn't you know it, it was my largest discus. Measured it after death, it was 7" plus a little. So sad. It looks like it ran in to the tank wall head on. It was in really bad condition when I checked in the afternoon and later that day it passed. It was my favorite. Best shape, best pattern and largest one. Such a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone
    Update: I lost a discus yesterday! Wouldn't you know it, it was my largest discus. Measured it after death, it was 7" plus a little. So sad. It looks like it ran in to the tank wall head on. It was in really bad condition when I checked in the afternoon and later that day it passed. It was my favorite. Best shape, best pattern and largest one. Such a bummer.
    Such a pity, sorry about that.
    What percent w/c were you doing daily on them at their youngest stage and what size tank is it ? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosskeegan24
    Such a pity, sorry about that.
    What percent w/c were you doing daily on them at their youngest stage and what size tank is it ? Thanks
    Daily 60% water changes for about a year
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Cafepress             AquaticSuppliers.com