ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just showing off some of my Rays

Registered Member

Default Re: Just showing off some of my Rays

I just got a retic pup yesterday, my wife got it for me as a Bday gift from the local fish store. I have not been able to get him to eat yet but man is he awesome!!!! He looks just like Josies only about 3" across. I REALLY REALLY want a Leo ray......I just can not bring my self to spend 700.00 on a sting ray. I will see if I can post a picture tomorrow of the new guy.

Any suggestions on how to get him to eat?
    Last edited by bearrock; 11-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Have you tried live blackworms?

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

Just like what was said in the previous post best to use is live blackworms. If that isn't a option I go to walmart or a fishing store and buy some earthworms use for fishing. I go to walmart and buy the smallest worms they sell. If your ray is only 3" he is very young may take a day or two until it starts eating. If you buy fishing worms cut them up into small pieces then once he gets to eating better start him on cut up shrimp, cut up scallops, small pieces of tallopia.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

I tried the cut up worms last night. He paid no attention to them and swam over them without even trying to eat. It did however look as though he ate a few blood worms that had made their way to the bottom from feeding the discus.
    The discus were bumping him with their nose to move him away from the food. I then added a divider to keep the discus out and allow me to keep track of what the ray is eating vs the discus.
    Try again tonight.......

Quote Originally Posted by bearrock View Post
    I tried the cut up worms last night. He paid no attention to them and swam over them without even trying to eat. It did however look as though he ate a few blood worms that had made their way to the bottom from feeding the discus.
    The discus were bumping him with their nose to move him away from the food. I then added a divider to keep the discus out and allow me to keep track of what the ray is eating vs the discus.
    Try again tonight.......
    The last little ray I got it took him 2-3 days for he really settled in and started eating. I forgot about bloodworms mine will eat those also.
    My wife names my fish

marielou20

Im new to rays and i would like to know if you make a quarantine when you get one?

Usually you QT all of your fish regardless of type.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by marielou20 View Post
    Im new to rays and i would like to know if you make a quarantine when you get one?
    Just as Jeff said YES I recently well last year added a ray without QT and almost lost two of my rays because of it. Always QT anything no matter what
    My wife names my fish

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234