AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Feeding schedule

Default Feeding schedule

Here is a summary of what I have been feeding these fry since they became free swimming. Feel free to leave comments and questions, and advice, as his is my first time raising discus.

I will list approximations of days free swimming, as my time measurement

Days 0-5
    • Feeding from Parents

Days 5 - 3 weeks
    • Feeding from parents
    • Baby Brine Shrimp

3 weeks - 2 months
    • Baby Brine Shrimp
    • Crumbled Flake
    • Frozen worms (glass and blood)
    • Live Blackworms

2 months - current(~4 month)
    • Flake Food
    • .6mm New Life Spectrum Pellets
    • Frozen worms (glass and blood)
    • Live Blackworms
    Last edited by joshvito; 10-18-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

I never know if I am feeding a good amount. I am familiar with the old adage, as much as they eat in 2 minutes. However, I am not sure I'd this applies, and if I am feeding enough. Or too much???

Here is what I am currently feeding to my 8 contest fish.

1st feeding
    Pellets and flake

2nd feeding
    Either same as first -or-
    Flake and freeze dried worms

3rd feeding
    Frozen worms or live blackworms

I put a fork in the photo for reference, but I would say that the total volume of food at each feeding is about 1 tsp.

I think it will be interesting for the contestants to share notes like this, because jam sure feeding and water change schedule are the most variable strategies among contestants.

TFCEC Member
    Join a local fish club.
    www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Default Re: Feeding schedule

Good informative post I have pigeon SS fry been free swimming 18 days now, they on the parents and BBS twice a day just about to up to BBS 3 - 4 times a day and introduce other different foods. I see alot of people on here using dried frozen black worm. I am going to try micro worm 1st up and then a touch of black worm and some .5mm fry powder feed.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

I would say the amount would be alright depending on the amount of fry and vacum the waste 20 min after feeding. I coincide my feeds with a vacume and small water change. So by the end of the day they have had aprox 50% water change. Now they are getting past the tiny fry stage I will increase the water change slightly so by the end of the day they have had around 75% I think it is best to do lot of small changes to reduce stress even though my aged water is same PH and temp PH 6 & temp 29c. will sowly be bringing them up to tap water in next 2 weeks so I can turn the auto water on and make it bit easier for the missus.

Hi I came accross this looking for tips on raising discus fry. A pair of blue diamond was doing the mating dance and I seperated them into their own tank and the very next day they laid eggs on the glass wall and now there are 40 or so fries. At what time do you seperated the babies from the parents? I didn't want to breed them because of time but the pair was very aggressive so I had to seperate them. I know usually they don't get the whole breeding thing right the first time around but this pair got it. I guess now I'll try it and see. Any info on raising and taking care of discus babies will be much appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    Hi I came accross this looking for tips on raising discus fry. A pair of blue diamond was doing the mating dance and I seperated them into their own tank and the very next day they laid eggs on the glass wall and now there are 40 or so fries. At what time do you seperated the babies from the parents? I didn't want to breed them because of time but the pair was very aggressive so I had to seperate them. I know usually they don't get the whole breeding thing right the first time around but this pair got it. I guess now I'll try it and see. Any info on raising and taking care of discus babies will be much appreciated. thanks
    There is a lot of rearing info here on SD! I left my fry with the parents for 3 weeks. I think each set of parents are different, but a quick search through this forum seems like 2 weeks is an average.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member