ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching to ALL LEDs.

Real Name
    Matt

Default Switching to ALL LEDs.

I've made the decision. ALL of my tanks will now be lit by LEDs. Just had a Coralife T5 fixture blow up on me. It blew up, bulb blew, acrylic shield melted, and glass top cracked/shattered in half. I suspect heat, but I've had the same setup for almost a year or more now with no problems. I cannot risk a fire or something similar on a whim whenever it feels like blowing up. So I'm going LEDs. No heat, low electricity costs, and long life......no risk. So I'll spend some money upfront and win in the long run. Been thinking of doing it for a while, but this T5 fixture blowing up was the last straw.

Not sure if I'll go DIY or premade yet.....but I'm open to options, 100% going LED. Any ideas?
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Switching to ALL LEDs.

When the glass top broke my automatic feeder dropped into the tank.....might have to be replaced, its soaked all inside. Trying to dry it out now.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Try throwing it in a Ziplock with some rice in it if you have it.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Or kitty litter.Also look for Beamswork on e-bay for cheaper led's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

Beamswork is ok, just make sure you get the double bright, the single is kindda dim for my taste, specially if you used to have t5's

You do as myself and Skip have done use under the counter LED lights from Lowes or Home Depot cheaper then buying the aquarium fixtures.
    My wife names my fish

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    You do as myself and Skip have done use under the counter LED lights from Lowes or Home Depot cheaper then buying the aquarium fixtures.
    +1

Didn't you already made a hanging light fixture for one of your tanks? It looked neat!

Real Name
    Matt

Yeah I did. My only concern with those under the counter LED fixtures is how cheap they are. How long with the LEDs last in those? How cheap are the parts? Etc. I know the little star modules you buy for DIY are quality lights...like the Cree brand. To me its like buying Cree vs Chinese knock offs.....i don't know. I'll have to look into them more.
    -Matt

my 30" light from IKEA.. LEDBERG model.. is $14.99.. 30".. good enough for me!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Matt

Are you using it as a single light source for tanks Skip or just supplement? Can you post pictures once done?
    -Matt

Rick, Incognito, has good results from these suckers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-LED-4...item19d57fa38e

I'm debating trying a pair

Real Name
    Matt

Good call Harry, and I can get 2....thats not to bad. I need at least 2. I've heard those aren't to bad either for fish only tanks.
    -Matt

I posted this once on another thread and it seems no-one really had interest. I like it a lot and will do it again. I could have made it look really fancy but it's just hanging over a grow-out tank in the basement so I didn't really care about looks.
    It's a standard Halogen ceiling fixture. I replaced the Halogen bulbs with led bulbs each led bulb is 1.3 watts. you can get them in various colors from blue, bright white. yellow or green. I prefer the bright white. For 14.99 for the fixture and 5 for each led replacement bulb. and it lights up the 65 gallon very nicely. they make them in 3 watt tool and well that would be plenty of light.

~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dpete9 View Post
    I posted this once on another thread and it seems no-one really had interest. I like it a lot and will do it again. I could have made it look really fancy but it's just hanging over a grow-out tank in the basement so I didn't really care about looks.
    It's a standard Halogen ceiling fixture. I replaced the Halogen bulbs with led bulbs each led bulb is 1.3 watts. you can get them in various colors from blue, bright white. yellow or green. I prefer the bright white. For 14.99 for the fixture and 5 for each led replacement bulb. and it lights up the 65 gallon very nicely. they make them in 3 watt tool and well that would be plenty of light.

That's growing on me

And no aquarium fixture hanging on top of the tank that you have to move around (to clean, etc)

Real Name
    Matt

I like that, and believe me I love my hanging LED fixture over my 100gal. Problem is I don't want to hang anything for a bunch of these smaller growout/breeding tanks I am getting lights for.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast