AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching to ALL LEDs.

Default Re: Switching to ALL LEDs.

Yeah. Love hanging lights. I won't go any other way again Ease of access for cleaning etc. is awesome. and I light this tank with a whopping 5.2 watts LOL. Haven't turned them off EVER in over a year and they are never hot and still burning bright.
    Hope you figure something out for your tanks!
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

dpete are those IKEA fixtures
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Got them at a store here called Hornbach, it's the Dutch equivalent to Home Depot or Lowes
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Registered Member

I would not go the DIY route for grow outs. I guess you would not need them dimmable or have a custom spectrum/moonlights etc. I like Skip's DIY fixture with Ikea lights. I will go that route for my juvies (next Kenny shipment )
    I just ordered my arduino mega which I will be using to make an aquarium controller. But I might not have the patience to finish the whole thing before I get my juvies
    ~Ashish
    http://ashtricusdiscus.blogspot.com/

Real Name
    Matt

Got my LEDs today. Decided to go with the Beamworks that Harry linked a few posts back. First impressions out of the box are very good. The fixture is attractive, and solid a good amount of metal on it and not plastic. All lights came undamaged and worked right out of the box. I have a few complaints, but more for me then actual function of the light. The power plug is much like an older phone charger, where you have what they would call a wall wart. Harder to fit into powerstrips with other cords in them and such, wish it were smaller. Second, you can turn on white and blue or just blue....I wish you could do just white. Again nothing big. So far very pleased with these lights in my tanks, shows the fish great isn't to blue or to white. Very bright.

And after running for 30mins, I can rest my hand anywhere on the light and its cool to the touch, couldn't do that with my T5s.

I'll try to get some pics later.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    you can turn on white and blue or just blue....I wish you could do just white.
    Matt, even my marineland double bright is like that, white and blue together or only blue.

Got my LEDs today. Decided to go with the Beamworks that Harry linked a few posts back. First impressions out of the box are very good. The fixture is attractive, and solid a good amount of metal on it and not plastic. All lights came undamaged and worked right out of the box. I have a few complaints, but more for me then actual function of the light. The power plug is much like an older phone charger, where you have what they would call a wall wart. Harder to fit into powerstrips with other cords in them and such, wish it were smaller. Second, you can turn on white and blue or just blue....I wish you could do just white. Again nothing big. So far very pleased with these lights in my tanks, shows the fish great isn't to blue or to white. Very bright.
    Matt that's good to hear, as I've considered getting some of those lights too. I'm not a DIY kinda gal LOL, so those appealed to me.
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Matt, which one did you get for what size tank?? also how long did it take from time of order to delivery?? I'm in the midst of building my room and will need a few fixtures. thanks
    Jorge Q

Pics ... I wanna see

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Quote Originally Posted by nwehrman View Post
    Pics ... I wanna see

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YES, pics please...
    -Ismael

Real Name
    Matt

36" for a 40 breeder, and 2 24" for my breeder tanks (20gals). The 20gals could of gotten away with all the way down to the 18" fixtures, depends on what you want. 18-24" work for 20gals. The 36" is perfect for the 40 breeder. It took 6 days from order to my door, but that was including a weekend. And it was free shipping so that works for me.

Some quick photos. May be a bit hard to tell the difference, don't have any before and after shots. The breeder tanks are a bit darker up front because I have to move the fixtures back to open up the glass top. Still lights the tank well. Really nothing exciting picture wise lol

-Matt

Real Name
    Rick

These LED fixtures are the best bang for the buck right now. I got several and love them. They come in several different configurations and sizes depending on your needs. You can't really build anything comparable for the price these cost, and if you try, your going to end up being stuck in the 6500k and bellow range (ie: light is too yellow).

http://stores.ebay.com/topdogsellers...=p4634.c0.m322

I thought about doing what Pete has done, with the exception of using some track lighting rails (I have a series of tanks). The problem I run into if finding bulbs anything above 6K. It's a matter of personal preference, but I beleive that 8-10k shows the color of the fish better. As soon as the bulbs I want become available to use the track lighting mounts, then I will be all over it.

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I totally agree with discus-n00b the fish look great and the energy bill not even half the I just to pay. I swap probably about a month ago i have the single bright from marineland they look great even in my planted tank and i love the blue lights on only! but the fish since not to like it to much they have like hysterical reaction to the blue lights !

Killer solid blues Matt!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Eddie. The pair came from Mike Beals, the juvis came from Kenny.
    -Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast