AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: Should I leave the pair in the community tank or move them to a 27g breeding tank?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep them in the community tank

10 21.74%
  • Move them to 27g breeding tank

36 78.26%
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggs!! And they did it while I was travelling...

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Eggs!! And they did it while I was travelling...

Are you sure they are all gone? Sometimes they are being hidden away from prying eyes.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Are you sure they are all gone? Sometimes they are being hidden away from prying eyes.
    Barb
    Barb, I could not find them anywhere. They were certainly not attached to the parents.

Here is an update. I came home tonight, did a WC and a huge clean up. I had to wipe down the algae from the 3D background, all glass walls, heaters, everything. I am exausted I then added a divider in the tank following a similar systems than the one created by Andras:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ollywood/page2

I used a mosquito net and two PVC flat pieces to stick the net on the sides. I will try to post some pics tomorrow. So in one third of the tank I have the pair, while the other 5 Cuipeuas, 10 Cardinals and 7 Corydoras are in the other two thirds of the tank. The funny part is that the pair is pushing through the net trying to get to ther other side. We will see if the net will stay in place, since it is quite loose.

Please keep the fingers crossed

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Mauro, if the pair does not settle open the net and let them lay where they will and then put the net up.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Mauro, if the pair does not settle open the net and let them lay where they will and then put the net up.
    +1. Using a divider now may stress the pair into not spawning again. Let them interact with the group to settle back down and put up divider when they spawn again, or set up a 29 gallon breeding tank. I have a suspicion that the cardinal tetras and corydoras got themselves some tasty snacks.
    Mark

Real Name
    Mauro

Pat, that makes a lot of sense. It might have been a better strategy to wait for the news spawn before changing their surrounding so dramatically. If they don't adapt I will take the net out.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    +1. Using a divider now may stress the pair into not spawning again. Let them interact with the group to settle back down and put up divider when they spawn again, or set up a 29 gallon breeding tank. I have a suspicion that the cardinal tetras and corydoras got themselves some tasty snacks.
    Excellent point on the tetras and corys, I certainly experienced that when I had a community tank and my discus decided to start spawning. The only difference is in my tank the adult discus had the last word.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Mauro

Ok, Ok, I am taking the net out right now!

Yeap, someone got some new protein

Real Name
    Pat

Mauro, you feeling the stress. Relax and let the pair make the choice and do the work. Both Len and I have added the divider after the eggs were laid. It really is no big deal.

Real Name
    Mauro

Mauro, you feeling the stress. Relax and let the pair make the choice and do the work. Both Len and I have added the divider after the eggs were laid. It really is no big deal.
    Hi Pat, no stress. Didn't you see the smile face? I was just kidding. I really apreciate the time that experienced people like you and Mark devote to beginners like me in this forum. Thank you all for your time and patience.

Now, Mark raised a question. What do you think is the best strategy: 1. leave the pair in the community tank and add a divider if they spawn again; 2. put the pair in a 27 gallon breeding tank. I am adding a poll to see what folks think.

Real Name
    Pat

Mauro, you will have the best control separating the pair into their own 27 BUT you might consider allowing them to spawn again in the big tank to cement the pair bond. Mark is a better person to advise on this then myself.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

My vote was to leave them, a like pairs to have a little more experience before they're separated. I'd be more interested in Pat's and Mark's votes though.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Pat

I would leave them alone in the main tank and let them strengthen the pair bond prior to separating them. The divider could be used at the same time. With my Tefe female I would feel very comfortable with placing her and her chosen male in a separate tank. She has shown herself to be very reliable.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

My vote may just add more to the confusion lol. I find that wilds spawn more readily in a biotope tank with other discus, it's the presence of other fish that strengthens the pair's bond. I suggest removing the tetras and corydoras from the tank as other discus will not be eating the fry in my experience. At least you can allow the attachment of the fry and experience the normal progression of a spawn for as long as possible before removing the fry to their own growout tank.

But, if you want to have the best chance at raising spawns I suggest putting a wild pair into a larger tank than a 27 or 29. They seem calmer in a 55 gallon versus a 29 gallon. When I had a pair raise fry in a 29 they started fighting soon after the fry attached. The same pair in a 55 gallon actually lead the fry around the tank letting them feed even on the adult food that was in the tank. It was a cool sight to see.

I prefer for my pairs to at least spawn twice and have fry attach prior to removing them to their own tank so the bond is established.
    Mark

Real Name
    Pat

I vote for what Mark said

Real Name
    Mauro

My vote may just add more to the confusion lol. I find that wilds spawn more readily in a biotope tank with other discus, it's the presence of other fish that strengthens the pair's bond. I suggest removing the tetras and corydoras from the tank as other discus will not be eating the fry in my experience. At least you can allow the attachment of the fry and experience the normal progression of a spawn for as long as possible before removing the fry to their own growout tank.

But, if you want to have the best chance at raising spawns I suggest putting a wild pair into a larger tank than a 27 or 29. They seem calmer in a 55 gallon versus a 29 gallon. When I had a pair raise fry in a 29 they started fighting soon after the fry attached. The same pair in a 55 gallon actually lead the fry around the tank letting them feed even on the adult food that was in the tank. It was a cool sight to see.

I prefer for my pairs to at least spawn twice and have fry attach prior to removing them to their own tank so the bond is established.
    Thanks, Mark. The more I think I know the more there is to learn lol. So there are two more alternatives: 3. leave the fish in the tank, but move out the Cardinals and Corydoras; 4. Move the pair to a larger tank than a 27g. I am lost which is normal for a first time breeder.

I only have a 27g, so the last alternative would mean buying another tank, which is not likely to happen. The possibility of taking the tankmates out sounds appealing.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast