AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Co2 with Discus

Default Re: Co2 with Discus

Quote Originally Posted by BroodNV View Post
    I've been running CO2 in my 90g for over 8 years with only 1 issue. Woke up one morning and all my fish were gasping for air after my electric solenoid broke and was just dumping CO2 into the water. PH controller was useless at that point cause it couldnt close the valve in the solenoid. Everything survived though.
    Did you have discus in that tank at the time, Brood ?

My CO2 system cost $250.00 and that included a new 10 lbs aluminum tank. I was succesfully able to run my 95 gallon planted tank and a 30 gallon plant/shrimp tank. I started out with about 1 bubble a second using a bubble counter and good diffuser. After a month I increased to 2 bubbles and then finally settled in at 3 bubbles per second and had good succes. My system came with a in-tank ph meter so I was able to monitor the ph swing everyday.

My discus, cardinal tetras and cories never had any effects from the CO2. Plants grew nice and discus did as well. I monitored all water parameters daily for the first couple of months to be sure no spikes in nitrates/nitrites, all was good. 2 years later everyone was still fine and no loss of fish due to CO2.

Good luck.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Jeff, I gather you had some previous experience keeping discus. But whether you did or not, you were obviously very careful adjusting & monitoring your CO2 pressurized system, and you seem to have done all the right things with it. That's just great - but unfortunately, some new discus-keepers who are not familiar with running a high-tech C02'd planted tank don't often have those good results. It can be a disappointing exercise, folks, if you don't do the right things keeping discus in a high-tech environment to begin with.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Did you have discus in that tank at the time, Brood ?
    No, had angels, apistos, rams and tetras at this time.

Good advice.Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    That's just great - but unfortunately, some new discus-keepers who are not familiar with running a high-tech C02'd planted tank don't often have those good results. It can be a disappointing exercise, folks, if you don't do the right things keeping discus in a high-tech environment to begin with.
    Very true Paul in your statement. That is why I started out with very low CO2 in the tank. For the newbie, it requires monitoring your water parameters everyday.

Also, depending on the size of the tank they are using they can always build the DIY CO2 system for a couple dollars (2L bottle, sugar, yeast, airline tubing and small amount of silicone). YouTube has some great DIY builds. This would save them from spending over $200.00 on a system and not succeed.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

I've been running CO2 in my discus tank for almost 10 yrs. First in a 65 gal and now in a 90 gal. Never had an issue with the CO2. Had an issue when I had to move the tank. Unfortunately I lost 6 discus as a result.

Real Name
    Shari

I run DIY CO2 during the day and run air at night on my 75. I don't care to prune every single week as I rather save time for my fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12