ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Irresistible temptations....

Registered Member

Red face Irresistible temptations....

So.... all my plans, all my resolve of not getting discus before I am done with water quality experiments, set up a refugium, make my own LED lighting/controller system..... all gone... I succumbed to the temptation....
    I got an awesome 75 gal tank with stand and lighting hood and a canister filter from craigslist. The tank and stand are aqueon setup.
    The tank had a couple of big cichlids and a pleco... emptied just yesterday. Now my main concern is... how do I rid it of its smell???? Any tips?
    I am going to give all the filter hardware a nice vinegar bath.... probably will wipe down the tank every day with vinegar from the inside too.... till I get ready to start cycling it. I don't plan to put the fish directly in the 75, I will keep them for some time in a smaller 30g till I am confident about the 75.
    Now I am just a Kenny's nov shipment away from getting my first discus!!
    ~Ashish
    http://ashtricusdiscus.blogspot.com/

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Irresistible temptations....

Quote Originally Posted by ashtricks View Post
    So.... all my plans, all my resolve of not getting discus before I am done with water quality experiments, set up a refugium, make my own LED lighting/controller system..... all gone... I succumbed to the temptation....
    I got an awesome 75 gal tank with stand and lighting hood and a canister filter from craigslist. The tank and stand are aqueon setup.
    The tank had a couple of big cichlids and a pleco... emptied just yesterday. Now my main concern is... how do I rid it of its smell???? Any tips?
    I am going to give all the filter hardware a nice vinegar bath.... probably will wipe down the tank every day with vinegar from the inside too.... till I get ready to start cycling it. I don't plan to put the fish directly in the 75, I will keep them for some time in a smaller 30g till I am confident about the 75.
    Now I am just a Kenny's nov shipment away from getting my first discus!!

soak the whole thing in bleach water everything........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Use pp at 20ml per 10 gallons a long as no fish are in there. Should kill off any nasty still living in the tank.

Bleach or PP will do the trick!
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

Registered Member

Ashish.. I got PP if you want some PP to clean up

Registered Member jeff_eruption's Avatar

what's pp?

Potassium Permanganate

Registered Member

Thanks all!

Ashish.. I got PP if you want some PP to clean up
    @Prabhu.... See you soon
    ~Ashish

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

PP wont take the smell away, it will just sanitize the tank and equipment a nice bleach solution is what you need. just my experience on this.......josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member

It is also a good time for general cleaing. Consider a cleaner called Simple Green. Their website indicates "Simple Green has also been used to maintain safe and clean environments for animals, fish and birds that are temporary guests of veterinary clinics and wildlife rehabilitation centers (such as The World Bird Sanctuary, The Marine Mammal Stranding Center, and the Dolphin Rescue Center,) as well as for those animals that are permanent residents of zoos, aviaries, and aquatic centers (The National Zoo, Shedd Aquarium, Wellington Zoo, and Monterey Bay Aquarium are a few examples.)"

congratulations!
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Awesome, one more in the clan not able to stay away from the temptation. I said the same years ago with only one tank, 12 tanks later, not only discus but angels BNs and shrimp tanks... Got to love it..
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

Thanks Trish!
    LOL Jorge!!! I am sure my wife will not allow any more tanks in the house I might sneak in one shrimp/betta tank in my office cubicle though!
    @Josie: I guess I PP first and bleach the smell off after that.... http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/mdbp/pdf/alter/chapt_5.pdf says
    While it is
    not considered a primary disinfectant, potassium permanganate has an effect on the development of a
    disinfection strategy by serving as an alternative to pre-chlorination or other oxidants at locations in a
    treatment plant where chemical oxidation is desired for control of color, taste and odor, and algae.
    Of course, this is for water treatment, but might just work for surface disinfection.....
    ~Ashish