ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 540 gal build

Default Re: The 540 gal build

Wish I had the time and resources to make my own tank.. anyways great job on the tanks... the DIY LED lights is something I will definitely have to build when ever i get a new tank!

Registered Member

So Joey I love your builds and what you're doing, but I do wish that when you created the series of videos you would show the actual process of the build, I was looking forward to that, there is nothing better than seeing it being build, because when you're showing and describing what you already build is not as visual, I have something like this in mind for a build for myself next year and it's great information, but you know when you're going thru the process somethings don't go according to plan and when you are seeing it being done it helps.

BTW, again love your builds. You're my inspiration for a monster tank that has been living in my mind for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
    So Joey I love your builds and what you're doing, but I do wish that when you created the series of videos you would show the actual process of the build, I was looking forward to that, there is nothing better than seeing it being build, because when you're showing and describing what you already build is not as visual, I have something like this in mind for a build for myself next year and it's great information, but you know when you're going thru the process somethings don't go according to plan and when you are seeing it being done it helps.

BTW, again love your builds. You're my inspiration for a monster tank that has been living in my mind for a while.
    I can appreciate this comment.

Here's the thing though.... i dont rehearse my videos, or even plan them out. I do my videos as if you were right there with me. So its all free style.

I call these "live builds"... simply put..... i have one chance. I have one chance to build it right, and talk/explain it correctly while im building it. Which is the hardest part, because the tape is rolling, and what ever i say or do is final. I cant remake or redo a build. Editing too much loses the focus of the build and credibility of what i am showing. It's a one chance type of video, because most things i build, cant be taken apart, or can be easily ruined. Silicone starts to skin... glass is very heavy.. epoxy has a short pot life.. ect... Seamed like there were a few things making me avoid touching the camera.

So with this said, i opted to do this build this way....

I truly feel that what i have shown in the video is all you will need to know. There is no hidden secrets or tips... it was a very simple build. Just how i like 'em!

cant wait to see that tank stocked Joey, how are your discus doing havent seen any updates on any forums?
    Chris

looks good joey, guess you answered my question about your discus. waiting to see that tank full of fish.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by spiffyfish View Post
    looks good joey, guess you answered my question about your discus. waiting to see that tank full of fish.
    Im thinking i may only add a few discus to start. I have developed 2 pair in the holding tank, and i have been holding off on letting them follow threw. So i think i might build a breeding rack for them and see how they do. Ultimately though, i keep discus cause i love them, and not to breed them, so im not sure i will put any real attempt at breeding.

I would prefer to have 20-30 discus in this tank. With 30 being ideal. So i may concentrate on getting more discus first....

I guess what im trying to say, is i have no idea what i want to do. lol

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Great thread. Thanks very much.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Default The 540 gal build

Thanks for the videos!
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Great thread. Thanks very much.

-john
    Quote Originally Posted by nwehrman View Post
    Thanks for the videos!
    No problem fellas. Glad ya's enjoyed it.

Nice videos Joey!
    For the tank alone, do you think it would be cheaper/faster just to build it out of acrylic sheets if you didnt use the glass from other tanks?
    I'm planing a 400G tank and its going inside a wall so I would need two glass/acrylic sides anyways and I was wondering if I should just do it all acrylic.
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Quote Originally Posted by dbfzurowski View Post
    Nice videos Joey!
    For the tank alone, do you think it would be cheaper/faster just to build it out of acrylic sheets if you didnt use the glass from other tanks?
    I'm planing a 400G tank and its going inside a wall so I would need two glass/acrylic sides anyways and I was wondering if I should just do it all acrylic.
    I couldnt build it out of acrylic. In the first video i mention why.

An update:

Real Name
    Matt

Looks awesome! Nice job on it!
    -Matt

Awesome... Can't wait for video with discus...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast