ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Refugium and Sump Question

Default Refugium and Sump Question

Hello friends,

I picked up a 110 (60x18x24") tank today (will supply pics tomorrow after I clean everything up) used and it was originally a reef setup with refugium and sump. I hate to not use this for filtration after I get it cleaned and new hoses. The guy took good care of it so cleaning the tank was a breeze so far.

My question is, since the sump has bio-balls and bio-media, can I soak them in either bleach/water or vinager/water solution and reuse them? I was also thinking about loadng the refugium with bio media as well. Not sure if the pump works so I may have to buy a good one for this setup. What would be a good bio-media for the refugium? The refugium is a 30 or 40 gallon SeaClear acrylic and the sump is about the same size. So this could be lots of filtration for this tank. Pics tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Jeff
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Default Re: Refugium and Sump Question

Skip the balls. Go with Kaldness and make it fluidized with poret foam as barriers.

Default Re: Refugium and Sump Question

Is their any other barrier material that is small enough to hold k1 that will allow for high flow like 1800GPH?

I was going to use the eggcrate material but it looks like that will be too big for k1.