ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moisture issues

Registered Member

Default Moisture issues

I'm having some moisture issues throughout my house. My fish room is in the basement and is about 300 gallons. I'm getting a lot of condensation on windows and doors, and mold on some of the windows.

The room is roughly 120 square feet. Would it be best to hook up a bathroom type fan above the tanks to vent the air outside, or just use a standard dehumidifier in the fish room. Or both?

Thanks for any advice
    Last edited by Dis82; 11-18-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Default Re: Moisture issues

When I had major moisture issues, I used a dehumdifier in the room. Its a must to have some air circulating or the moisture will definitely damage the house.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I'm having similar issues in my fish room and have been going back and forth on buying a de humidifier. I just got new windows which is where most of the moisture occurs. It helped a little but ill probably still need to get a dehumidifier. I know this doesnt answer your question but thought I'd share my pain.
    - Dan

Registered Member

Ya thx, didn't realize how much moisture was going through the rest of the house. Just researching and found people using air exchangers. They seem very pricey. Are they worth It?

Honestly, run a dehumidifier 24/7 if you can. You don't have a big operation with only 300 gallons.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I've thought about looking into air exchangers myself after realizing how much of an electricity hog my dehumidifier was. Not sure if they are any better though, but would be interested to hear of anyone's experience with one. I have also seen what a huge difference there is when keeping all containers of water covered when possible. I keep a gauge in my fish room so I can keep a close eye on it.

Registered Member

Ok thanks for the replies. I will run my dehumidifier and see how that goes.

Registered Member

Dehumidifier all the way. You will be shocked how much water you pull from the air. I have about 300gallons of tank space too and my dehumidifier pulls about 2.5 gallons of water out a day. I only run it about 12 hours though - too noisy when I sleep.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Honestly, run a dehumidifier 24/7 if you can. You don't have a big operation with only 300 gallons.
    +1 I run mine 24/7 with a hose that drains into the floor drain so I don't have to worry about emptying the bucket twice a day
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Registered Member

Moisture can be removed from the house with the help of desiccant breather or any other adhesives like silica gel. You can buy these products in a very low price and it will be the b est solution to remove the moisture from the house.

Registered Member

I would first suggest trying to cover as many/as much of the tanks as possible, AND get a demumidfier. If you insulate and seal up the room as much as possible, not only will you keep in the humidity, but you will also save on your heating as well.

g

Real Name
    Dave

Just move to the desert as I don't have moisture issues I do have to add about three gallons a day to my 75 gallon community tank to keep it full though (I keep one lid open as the little bit of humidity from the tank water evaporating isn't too bad).

Dave

My fish room when dehumidifier is off, the most I have is 60% hummidity. When on, it goes down to 35% which is ok for 500 gallons running all day long. Like Brandon, I now run it 24/7 and empties to my drain, no hassles at all.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Jeff what brand of dehumidifier are you using? I went through a few of them until we upgraded to an air exchange system and geothermal heating. The geothermal unit is a very good dehumidifier in the summer.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

This is interesting. I am building a fish room. right now I have about 300 gallons going in the back room and re4alized I really need a fish building. So starting construction of it next week. So if you have a dehumidifier going will that keep it dry enough or should I put certain boards up opn the walls to help moisture not produce mold? this building is very small only 200 sq ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast