AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Not so nice topic

Default Re: Not so nice topic

I have edited some posts and removed others that either made no sense due to the edits or were in themselves provocative. In all cases they were unnecessary.

OK folks, let me be clear here. No matter how strongly you disagree with another members opinion personal attacks, no matter how they are phrased or worded and other insults will not be tolerated. If you want to insult each other please find somewhere else to do it.

Let me also be very clear, there will be no latitude given here - none. Do not make light of this, do not post any smart alec pictures, image or comments. I have had enough of the petty BS that continually simmers on here and I have had enough of those that think they can make light of these issues by so called humour. I will not give any further warnings, I will simply remove your posting privileges.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Good morning guys still haven't heard back from the scientist but I get my MS222 today, I dont really have anything to cull but when I do I will post my findings. Lets try to keep it about the topic please.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Hello... this is MS Miranda here. We had to cull the large Piwowarski Red Turk today. He had jumped out of the tank yesterday and was on the ground for an indeterminate amount of time. We returned him to the tank, hoping that he could recover. He put up a valiant struggle, but this morning he was lying on his side on the bottom of the tank. There was nothing more we could do for him. I used Tricaine methosulfonate (MS-222). The recommended dosage for euthanasia is 300-400 ppm in the bath. One teaspoon is approximately 2 grams. I used a half teaspoon MS-222 in 2 liters of water, which is an overdose. It also took about a half teaspoon of baking soda to adjust the pH to neutral. I gently placed our beautiful Red Turk in this bath, and he went to sleep very peacefully within less than a minute. This was very effective, and definitely the most humane way that I have ever used to cull one of our discus. I hope this helps. Miranda Miller
    Chicago Discus

I'm sorry to hear he didn't make it. Do you recommend MS - 222 over clove oil? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    I'm sorry to hear he didn't make it. Do you recommend MS - 222 over clove oil? If so, why?
    she's downstairs in the fish-room but I will try to answer, the clove oil takes to long and large amounts to overdose. Studies were done on clove oil and it has no nerve blocking affects so the animal still feels the pain. The MS222 is extremely fast and has nerve blocking agents so the animal feels no pain......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    the clove oil takes to long and large amounts to overdose. Studies were done on clove oil and it has no nerve blocking affects so the animal still feels the pain.
    Can you supply a link? It is well known to numb nerves, which is why it is used traditionally as a short term toothache remedy. I add clove oil slowly so as not to stress the fish but it only takes a very few minutes to kill. Seven or eight drops does it.

Josie, I just learned today that clove oil has been approved by the FDA for use in aquaculture. The therapeutic grade is sold under the name Aqui-S. I still agree with you that MS222 is a better option for euthanizing fish.
    Gary H.

Chicago Discus

Registered Member Crystalwaters's Avatar

Thanks for the videos Josie, I ended up visiting the youtube page and found a few other interesting videos. Again, so sorry about your jumper
    Crystalwaters
    Discus newb, learning.

The videos were about sedating fish so that people can do procedures on them, and so one really does need to block the pain. I hate to guess what some of those procedures may be. Why are we concerned with blocking pain when euthanizing with clove oil anyway? Where is the pain coming from? The fish appear to go quietly with clove oil unless a lot is used in the first place and then the fish will jump. Clove oil is inexpensive and can be purchased on line.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    The videos were about sedating fish so that people can do procedures on them, and so one really does need to block the pain. I hate to guess what some of those procedures may be. Why are we concerned with blocking pain when euthanizing with clove oil anyway? Where is the pain coming from? The fish appear to go quietly with clove oil unless a lot is used in the first place and then the fish will jump. Clove oil is inexpensive and can be purchased on line.
    Martha you can purchase MS222 online as well, the product works in seconds not minutes like clove oil. But use what you feel comfortable using this is just working for us.....Josie

http://www.wchemical.com/TRICAINE-S-MS-222-P43C7.aspx
    Chicago Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234