AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Diaphragm Air Pump or Linear Piston Air Compressors

Default Diaphragm Air Pump or Linear Piston Air Compressors

I will be working on fish room closed loop system in the next few weeks and before I buy the pump, I would like some thoughts on the best one for my application, Diaphragm Air Pump or Linear Piston Air Compressors.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/diaphragm...s.html#DAPPH30

http://www.jehmco.com/html/lph26.html

I will be utilizing at first about 12 to 20 valves with expanding to 30 or so in a few months. Both pumps are designed to do the same job. I want to run 3/4 pvc and I can retro fit the pumps for that or 1" pvc. Jehmco recommended using 3/4" pvc.

I would like something that runs somewhat quiet and the Linear seems to be in line of what I want when it comes to quiet but I want reliable as well. When it comes to utilizing the pumps capacity, I don't want to overload the pump if I am not using all the ports at first. So I worry about back-pressure.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Default Re: Diaphragm Air Pump or Linear Piston Air Compressors

Hey Jeff,the lph26 is rated 20-25 outlets,so if your planning on eventually 30...I called and talked with them on what I wanted to use one for,looking at the 45,and future use,and they recomended the 60 for me.Only reason I havent pulled the trigger is I'm waiting for Our season to slow down.No need to have it sit in my basement for 2-3 weeks like my RO has been doing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

I picked up a Air Force Pro linear compressor two week ago from Kenfish. This provides 2.1 psi pressure and 68 lpm volume. It is suitable for 50 outlets. This is a spare in case my Nedo fails. Linear compressors are supposed to be quieter than piston pumps. This pump is not really quiet. But I can live with it being in the fish room. I got it for $135. It's a good price for a linear pump.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Jeff I have the daph30 and I really like it. It makes a slight humming noise but its not loud enough to notice hardly ever. I've had mine for 3-4 months and my fiancé just heard in the basent where it is for the first time a week ago. And it's super simple to install! Good luck with your purchase!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I picked up a Air Force Pro linear compressor two week ago from Kenfish. This provides 2.1 psi pressure and 68 lpm volume. It is suitable for 50 outlets. This is a spare in case my Nedo fails. Linear compressors are supposed to be quieter than piston pumps. This pump is not really quiet. But I can live with it being in the fish room. I got it for $135. It's a good price for a linear pump.
    Hey Moon,just took a look at it on Ken's.Why are there two pieces?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

When I spoke with the folks at Jehmco today, they said if you don't use more than half the volume, you can damage the pump. I figure I will be using only 12 to 14 for the next 4 months or so then possibly growing to 20 or more. If I do get the higher one rated for up to 45 it might be over-kill and risk damaging the pump.

I guess I could get the LPH45 and just run some open valves?

I do not see on the one from Kens how many outlets it supports, or is that why the Model is 60 or 80?

Thanks for the tips and advice guys very much.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Real Name
    Ralph

I find that the pondmaster pumps are a great value and the repair kits are very cheap in price to replace.
    My understanding is that the number following is the amount of lines it can run but will depend on the length and height the lines travel.
    http://www.kensfish.com/supreme-high...air-pumps.html
    However my Medo pump with proper care will last a long time.
    I picked it up on Kijiji for $40 and has been running 4 years with no issues.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Jeff - The DAPPH30 (Big blue) works for me. It is conservatively rated. To avoai backpressure I just but a tap for a 3/8 line with a ball valve fitting. That goes into a coil of about 20 feet of tubing to keep the hissing sound down. The pump itself hums but is not annoying. Suggest you listen to John at Jehmco. He really knows his stuff. HTH

My fish room is going to be about 300 sq ft. I need to make sure the pump can reach all corners.

Thanks everyone for the input. I do like the DAPH30. Will look at all the options and try and see what will fit the best. May need to call Jehmco again and give them my room dimensions and go from there.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Real Name
    Rick

I have been very happy with my Alita pump from Angels Plus.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are different models. Mine is the 60 and one piece.