AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: White Spot?

Registered Member

Default White Spot?

A couple of very small white spots have appeared on the tail fin of 2 of my Discus. Probably "ichthy" white spot? What's the best treatment? Water temp. 86. I haven't added any fish or plants for at least 16 weeks. Apart from these recent spots, the fish look in excellent condition. 50-gallon planted tank. Filtration over polyfleece pads and ceramic noodles.
    By the way, the 12 Cardinal tetras in the same tank don't show any spots, and in my experience tetras are very prone to ichthy. Maybe it is something else?
    Last edited by Tommy Saville; 12-05-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: White Spot?

Although certainly possible - Ich is pretty rare at 86 degrees. It's very difficult for the reproductive cycle of the parasite to survive those temperatures. I would not treat - just keep on eye on it. Sometimes discus get some white spots in their fins. Could be nipping by other fish etc. Usually they go away.

Adam

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by aalbina View Post
    Although certainly possible - Ich is pretty rare at 86 degrees. It's very difficult for the reproductive cycle of the parasite to survive those temperatures. I would not treat - just keep on eye on it. Sometimes discus get some white spots in their fins. Could be nipping by other fish etc. Usually they go away.

Adam
    Thanks Adam....I live in hope ! Don't want to do anything that will upset my filter, which I have finally got cycled and giving crystal clear water ! We used to use Quinine sulphate to cure ich in "normal" tropical tanks, but modern Discus are much more delicate.

Registered Member

There's a Esha medication called Exit (do you have it in USA?) which is for treating ich. Contains Methylene Blue, Malachite Green, and Ethacridine lactate. If the problem continues, do you think that is a safe medication for Discus?

I'm familiar with meth blue and malachite green but not the last one. The first two are safe and indicated if it is ich - I would not treat unless the spots spread to the body of the fish. Ich is hard to misdiagnose - the spots will be all over the fish not just the fins. I would watch and wait.

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by aalbina View Post
    I'm familiar with meth blue and malachite green but not the last one. The first two are safe and indicated if it is ich - I would not treat unless the spots spread to the body of the fish. Ich is hard to misdiagnose - the spots will be all over the fish not just the fins. I would watch and wait.

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    OK, I'll keep watch. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Saville View Post
    There's a Esha medication called Exit (do you have it in USA?) which is for treating ich. Contains Methylene Blue, Malachite Green, and Ethacridine lactate. If the problem continues, do you think that is a safe medication for Discus?
    I agree that it's unlikely to be white spot. Discus can sometimes get a white spot(s) normally on the rays of the caudal and pectoral fins. These 'spots' are usually larger than those seen with white spot disease (Ichthyophthirius) and as aalbina states above normally go away.

Waterlife products are very safe and efficient IMO and are widely available in the UK. Also they do not affect the biosystem. Protozin (or Cuprazin at half dosage - be carefull if you haven't used this before in fresh water) is a medication for protozoans and also white spot and fungus.

I well remember buying quinine in the 1960s for treating white spot and having to turn the aquarium lights off during treatment!
    Paul

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I agree that it's unlikely to be white spot. Discus can sometimes get a white spot(s) normally on the rays of the caudal and pectoral fins. These 'spots' are usually larger than those seen with white spot disease (Ichthyophthirius) and as aalbina states above normally go away.

Waterlife products are very safe and efficient IMO and are widely available in the UK. Also they do not affect the biosystem. Protozin (or Cuprazin at half dosage - be carefull if you haven't used this before in fresh water) is a medication for protozoans and also white spot and fungus.

I well remember buying quinine in the 1960s for treating white spot and having to turn the aquarium lights off during treatment!
    I'll get some Protozin in, just in case ! Hey, you're nearly as old as me !

Water changes, water changes! They'll go away after a few days of water changes.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by camuth8 View Post
    Water changes, water changes! They'll go away after a few days of water changes.
    I've been doing water changes every other day, 25% or 50%. The tank is 210 litres and I only have 100 litres of aged water available every day.

Registered Member

0 blue discus.jpg0 blue discus.jpg
    Ive tried to attach a photo. Maybe too small to see the spot..

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Saville View Post
    Yes seen this before - appears to be on the caudal ray. Also seen this on Angels - don't know what it is but it's not white spot. Your fish look healthy and water appears ok - I'd leave things alone if I was you. Don't add any medicants just keep up your normal tank maintenance.

Any of our disease 'experts' any opinions of what this is?
    Paul

I'm not a disease expert but Andrew Soh mentioned this in his books as encysted bacteria and completely harmless.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'm not a disease expert but Andrew Soh mentioned this in his books as encysted bacteria and completely harmless.
    Blimey ! What a relief !!