AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Preventative Medications and related issues??

Registered Member

Question Preventative Medications and related issues??

I am a long way from calling myself successful. But after several months and navigating through some setbacks, I feel as though my community planted 75 with 5 discus (5.5 - 3.5 inches) is doing quite well.

My fish appear healthy (knock on wood) and actively eat anything I put in the tank between fighting with each other for the food.

I have read some articles that advocate preventive application of medications to maintain the health of the discus. De-worming medication seems to be a hot topic. Should I be concerned with de-worming my fish? Are there any other medications I should administer to prevent a problem down the line?

I do feed live brine shrimp and live black worms from my local LFS once a week or bi-weekly. Although I feel the live food is from a good source, the articles I have read have made me apprehensive.

Thanks.

Default Re: Preventative Medications and related issues??

I wouldn't do anything if you obtained your fish from a reliable source. I use to worm them prophylactically but no longer do that as I don't see the need for it. I should also add I do not feed live food except for brine shrimp especially those bought from a LFS. I would likely change my practice if I did.
    Pete
    MAGA

The best 'preventative' medication is lots of routinely changed, fresh water..good in many ways; also removes tons of potential pathogens...As for the worms, they are a dance with the devil, but we've all done the dance...as with the fish, lots of clean, fresh water..Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    The best 'preventative' medication is lots of routinely changed, fresh water..good in many ways; also removes tons of potential pathogens...As for the worms, they are a dance with the devil, but we've all done the dance...as with the fish, lots of clean, fresh water..Gary
    +1

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I guess after reading so many articles about preventative medication I should be surprised at these responses. I am not. The reason I started this thread is because it felt as though I could do more harm than good by inecessarily medicating healthy fish.

Having said that, I do remain concerned about feeding live black worms. Everything tells me I should feed my fish worms. I guess it is akin to feeding a mouse to a cat or a snake. May be I will just continue to feed live shrimp and just stick to frozen worms.

Is anyone concened about introduction of parasites from frozen blood or black worms?

I don't feed any form of bloodworms and the only blackworms I use, are Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms. Personal preference.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

By feeding live worms u are inviting many parasite in your tank to swim with your discus

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    SANDY

I'm not going to get yet another 'blackworm thread' going..Use the search engine, there's ton's of them, all very passionate....I have had good and bad times with worms. Unlike Eddie, I am feeding frozen and freeze dried CBW's..At this point I have seen absolutely no signs of any parasites from the frozen products...I started the week Dan made them available.....If you are in doubt, by all means, stop. There are lots of ways to raise large Discus......Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.