AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: White sponge filter

Default White sponge filter

I have black sponge filters and I lose fry in them. Where can I get white sponge filters?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: White sponge filter

Quote Originally Posted by rdub View Post
    I have black sponge filters and I lose fry in them. Where can I get white sponge filters?
    Whites hard to find and keep clean use 30pp Poret light blue instead.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Matt

I'd love to know where to find white ones as well. I remember a long time ago someone from Poland or some euro country posted pictures of a discus show and all show tanks had a white sponge filter in them. Would love to know where to get those. If I could find the right foam in a cylinder that would be an option as well....
    -Matt

Swiss tropical can order you white of you order at least 50,sheets lol..... Considering it when I open a fish house but until then.... Josie has it, only I has Dr. Stephan make me them in green not blue.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

I have seen them pop up on aqua bid once in awhile. I would check in there every other day and see if they come up!
    -Jeff

Another option is to wrap your black sponges with cheese cloth, I've done that successfully. Obviously not as easy as white sponges, but could be a stop-gap measure.

Cheese cloth is the devil lol. Watch any of my attachment threads, use a waist high set of panty hose, cut off the legs, and secure the openings with zip ties, slide the piece over the entire filter and again secure the top around the discharge tube. Bam, you have a white sponge that is painful to clean. For myself I only do this during pigeon attachment, then I remove it and bleach it for use for future batches. Reusable and works like a champ. Long term I'm not sure why you would care honestly, black sponge filters won't cause peppering or otherwise. Trust me I use lots, and have lots of pigeons.

Registered Member

Hey Drew... Do you use white panty hose? Sounds like a personal question I know hahaha
    We all judge, it's what we do with our judgements that make us who we are.
    Margaret

Lol Margaret, why is I do.... Wink wink lol.... Off white is fine too , or "egg shell".

Yes I do***

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post
    Cheese cloth is the devil lol. Watch any of my attachment threads, use a waist high set of panty hose, cut off the legs, and secure the openings with zip ties, slide the piece over the entire filter and again secure the top around the discharge tube. Bam, you have a white sponge that is painful to clean. For myself I only do this during pigeon attachment, then I remove it and bleach it for use for future batches. Reusable and works like a champ. Long term I'm not sure why you would care honestly, black sponge filters won't cause peppering or otherwise. Trust me I use lots, and have lots of pigeons.
    Thanks, Drew, never thought of that. Panty hose . . . sounds easier. For me the issue was that the fry would not attach to the parent, instead sticking to the black sponge, so I only used the cheese cloth until the fry attached. Maybe I'll ask my wife to pick up some white panty hose (jeez).

Real Name
    Matt

For me its more of a visual eye sore not being white lol. I just want white filters for looks. I need to get in touch with someone in china, mass produce those suckers lol
    -Matt

Registered Member

you can use the large foam blocks for the large aquaclear hob filters. I made sponge filters with them and pvc pipe. I have not made any in years but I assume they still use white foam. They are also great to make prefilters out of for your filter tubes.

Registered Member

Found a Lees dual action sponge filter that is white at our lfs. Only one was available. I’m going to use it for my Albino pair