ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick question for the Competition!

Default Quick question for the Competition!

OK Len, Pat, others that are helping to moderate this competition. I need to know if the 8 original fish are mandatory to keep for the entire course of the year. Ive adhered to the rules thus far to a T, but this is something I really need some answers on. Reason being this is a business for me as well, and I have a lot of people interested in these fish, obviously it does not help my odds to sell any of these guys which I understand. Please let me know if its acceptable, as I realize only two will be judged in the finals. And I can pretty much already tell you what two will be mine haha, though obviously things could change.... As far as I can tell from the rules theres no reason I couldnt sell some and mix my contest fish in with another batch of grow outs. I need the tank space!!! One 40 gallon tank with only 8 fish of 4" size is not the standard in my fish room. Nor is it to keep very many fish once they reach this size. THANKS GUYS!!
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Quick question for the Competition!

Drew, I can not advise on the selling off of contest fish but if you review the rules you will see once the eight contest fish are selected all other fish are suppose to be removed from their tank. Now I myself have violated that rule with the introduce on a Batch A fish used for teaching my contest fish to eat a new food. The Batch A fish served it's purpose and was removed after two days. Also note that I have excused myself from moderating the contest

From the rules, last sentence.

4. A suggestion is to start with a group of 30 dime size fry and you then document it weekly.. You may start with less than 30 fry but you decrease your odds of a good group. You can not have more than 30 in this initial group. You can tape a dime or other similar sized object to the tank. When your fry are approximately two months old you will choose the best eight fry to follow the rest of the year. At this point a quarter must be taped to the tank or a similar sized object as a reference.All others should be removed from the tank.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I had a nice batch in the contest and decided to sell them and I felt I broke the rules so I sold the rest and took them out of the contest..........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

DREW...

LEN is the Judge for contest..

as a fellow contestant.. don't mix the fish.. sell 6 if you want.. keep the two in a smaller tank alone if you want. but this part of the contest is very clear.. 8 in one tank

if you feel you can not do this due to your bizness model conflicting with you contest rules..

then i would just say.. pull out of contest..

a year a long time to commit.. things happen..
    Last edited by Skip; 12-08-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Pat

Skip, Len is the contest leader. He will not be judging the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Skip, Len is the contest leader. He will not be judging the fish.
    he is the only judge of the contest rules.. is my point..

any other input from contestants.. should just be input.. no more .. no less
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Pat

I was not changing the rules. Only pointing out a rule which applied to Drew's question. I clearly stated that I could not advise on the selling of contest fish and also clearly stated that I have excused myself from moderating the contest.

BUT I can state my opinion as a contestant.
    Last edited by Len; 12-08-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I was not changing the rules. Only pointing out a rule which applied to Drew's question. I clearly stated that I could not advise on the selling of contest fish and also clearly stated that I have excused myself from moderating the contest.

BUT I can state my opinion as a contestant.
    i agree all you posted here.

point was for DREW needed to call on LEN on this for his information.. since he was wanting OFFICIAL word... and didn't seem to know who to ask.. and input from us.. was just input..and NOT official word

not sure why you read any more into this
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Pat

Skip, I was simply answering Drew's question since he addressed his post to me also. Len is not online. I addressed his concerns within the context of the stated rules and clearly stated my role within the contest. Your following posts gives me the impression I said something that was invalid. If your post are not directed at me please forgive me to taking exception to your post.

pat.. i edited my first post.. with DREW at top..

hope this is clearer now.. LOL
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Pat

LOL Skip...peace

Real Name
    Rick

Drew,

If you were allowed to do that, then I would be allowed to select 4 from each of my groups and combine them, and still be allowed 2 of each group be entered in the final judging. This would be an unfair advantage. I don't see were having less than eight would be a reason for a disqualification, but being allowed to combine them into a tank with non-contest fish might.

Just My opinion
    ........Perhaps this thread should be moved into the group section?

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Drew,

If you were allowed to do that, then I would be allowed to select 4 from each of my groups and combine them, and still be allowed 2 of each group be entered in the final judging. This would be an unfair advantage. I don't see were having less than eight would be a reason for a disqualification, but being allowed to combine them into a tank with non-contest fish might.

Just My opinion
    ........Perhaps this thread should be moved into the group section?

Rick

+1, totally agree.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

I read the official rules as stating that all original fish from the batch must be removed upon selecting your 8 contest fish. Which makes sense for obvious reasons. However it does not state clearly anything about raising them with other fish, which kind of plays into basic discus keeping. Imean think long term here. As time goes on, these fish become adults and begin pairing.... Were supposed to justkeep all these 8 fish together even if you end up with an aggressive pair? That's not logical and you should be subjecting the fish forcefully into less than ideal conditions. I see no reason all of us should not be allowed to combine fish, it has its inherent advantages and disadvantages. Advantage in large numbers, BASIC DISCUS KEEPING, discus are schooling fish... Disadvantage in cross contamination etc. Maybe even make a clause about the fish having to be of a different strain so they are easily identified. Idk, need an official word on this.

I want to stay in this competition, I've worked hard for it, and we've bent the rules that were not clear already which benefit many people but certainly not myself, in fact it was a disadvantage. Here I don't feel there was even a clear rule made, and I would appreciate it being given some thought.

And Skip lol, you crack me up, stop trying to get me to drop out lol. It's not my fault they are pretty.

WOULD be subjecting the fish to less than ideal conditions**

It won't let me edit it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast