ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick question for the Competition!

Default Re: Quick question for the Competition!

I reread the rules, it definitely by my English only addresses removing the rest of the original batch, nothing addresses raising them with completely and obviously separate fish. In fact the rule seems to have been made only for one point... To specify your final 8 so that you can not just switch the fish, which makes sense. But I do feel raising them with other fish is a separate issue all together. Again, think about the long term, are we setting this up so that were forced to keep discus in a way that is inconsistent with how we actually raise our fish? And isn't one of the points of the contest to raise discus in the best way you know how, then compare the results in the end? Just questions, not mad or anything at all, I just want people to see the point because it is a valid concern.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Real Name
    Rick

Again, think about the long term, are we setting this up so that were forced to keep discus in a way that is inconsistent with how we actually raise our fish? And isn't one of the points of the contest to raise discus in the best way you know how, then compare the results in the end? Just questions, not mad or anything at all, I just want people to see the point because it is a valid concern.
    Yes and no, it's also about keeping as level a playing field as possible.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Look I would have loved to keep my eight with other fish but the rules said I couldn't I thought .........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

In regard to the selections of fish, any contestant is within their right to reduce the number to less than 8 without concern for violating any contest rules. I see it as a disadvantage by lowering the number, but that is their own decision to make. Adding any fish to the remaining contest fish wouldn't be appropriate, however. Once the contestants selected their 30 fish and then 8, all other fish were to be removed. While there isn't a specific rule that states you couldn't add fish to the contest fish, it can easily be argued that it is clearly implied by the fact there is a rule that required you to separate them to begin with. I hope that clarifies any questions, but if not please let me know and we can discuss.

Best regards,

Len

PS I tried to move this into the group discussion area, but it doesn't appear that I can.

Len

Nobody was looking for an exception. I did not believe the rules to be clear, that was the point. I was looking for clarification of the rules, which would then apply to all, not just myself. Like I said, the rules are rather ambiguous on this matter. And honestly speaking make little sense in the long term due to the possible necessity ofremoving an overly aggressive pair, etc. Thank you Len for replying and clarifying.

That said, now what constitutes a tank? Can these 8 fish simply be separated by poret divider? This would solve my current issue which is very simply tank space. And other than cross contamination (which most contestants do every time they do water changes anyway) there is really no difference from them being in a separate tank. The rules seem to intend for the 8 fish to be alone, that is it. So I feel this should be acceptable. Please let me know Len. From there I can decide what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post

That said, now what constitutes a tank? Can these 8 fish simply be separated by poret divider? This would solve my current issue which is very simply tank space. And other than cross contamination (which most contestants do every time they do water changes anyway) there is really no difference from them being in a separate tank. The rules seem to intend for the 8 fish to be alone, that is it. So I feel this should be acceptable. Please let me know Len. From there I can decide what to do.
    My initial thought is that this wouldn't violate any rules. I think as long as the fish are segregated from any other fish, the spirit of the rules have been met. That being said, since it is well into the contest, I think it only fair that the other contestants have opportunity to express opinions/concerns before we decide anything.

Len

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ok with me.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I do think it should be a requirement that it be a non transparent divider, so the fish can't see through it..... Otherwise we might as well allow people to combine fish. So basically Poret or a non transparent glass divider/ plexi would be the only acceptable dividers. No egg crate. Like I said, otherwise they basically are in the same tank and my original question comes into play again. It is my experience that they don't have to be able to touch each other to feel that they are "schooling", but only need be able to see each other. So I think if we allow this that should be the stipulation since we are obviously not wanting to allow our schooling fish to school lol.

Real Name
    Rick

From a contest stand point I am ok with it. I do however think it is a bad idea. Dam Drew, just buy another tank!

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Since u ask len..

As long a they are divided. I am ok the "Drew Rule"

But any divider should work.. Egg crate etc.... No stipulation for this

I also feel.. Jus get another tank.. Ur bizness will be expanding soon and u will need it anyways.. If not more
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Guys, check your email (from Len) for Contest Group Discussion
    Ryan

Fish room is full, and lots of babies constantly. No room to expand and I don't plan to expand until I'm ready to actually move it all to a new location and fish house. Then this won't be an issue. Until then I have to safely work within the confines of my space.... I even made a separate shipping room already and ripped out the closet to install a double 75 stand lol. Already pushing it as much as I can and they make more babies every time a new tank comes in, I think they laugh at me lol. Few months then it will be time to move everything to a new location, trust me I urgently await the day that space is no longer something I even think about lol.

On the dividers, I really do feel if we are not to be allowed to combine fish from different batches then it stands to reason that they need to be separated by something non transparent at the very least. This would uphold the integrity of the original debate in this thread. Just my thoughts. Regardless I'll take all these opinions, decisions, and discussions into account when I decide how I wish to proceed. I respect each one of you. I originally didn't feel that it was quite right that sponsors could enter the competition, now that I am one, my views have stayed the same and so I'm taking that into account too. Just like my business, I won't proceed in this competition without integrity.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I'm ok with it I usually just go with the flow anyway but to have a chance to respond to the sponsors being in the challenge I will say this. Al asked me to be in the hobbyist challenge and I'm glad he did its been a great expirence documenting a spawn and following there progress. And also as a sponsor I knew in the beginning that I didn't have the space to have two batches going in the challenge so I sold the other batch and stayed with my blues. I have needed grow out space many times during this challenge but I really wanted to follow the original rules, which I interpreted as to have eight discus in a tank and follow the progress of the eight and document any changes hat occurred during the grow out process of all eight discus. Meaning I thought if one fell ill or didn't grow properly or why you picked your final two and what were the differences in the discus that made you pick the final two. But maybe I just read way to much into it and it doesn't matter if we keep all eight together I knew the two I wanted judged the minute I put the eight together............Josie
    Last edited by Chicago Discus; 12-09-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Guys, please understand this... The initial reason for selecting 8 fish was its a good number and it allows us to somewhat standardize when looking at how things were done in the raising. It also gives the contestant the best chance to get 2 very nice fish out of the group.. Having raised many discus from fry to adult, its just something I have experienced. If anyone wants to decrease the numbers from 8 down..be my guest...but I don't advise it.. especially at this point in the game...I especially think that people will generally get better results with a group of 8 fish, over a group of less than 8 simplybecause the greater the number the more aggressive they youngsters generally eat.

As for the need to keep the 8 separate,its to deter someone from keeping more than 8 of the same strain in the tank and then picking the best at an unfair advantage. Its also to avoid issues where people claim so and so had an unfair advantage due to the stocking densities.

What our rules attempt to do is equalize things for the challengers.

Hth,
    al

ps....Future note, questions on the contest rules can always be directed to Len directly, and he can then inform the group of the questions and resolutions.....would make things easier. Tanks!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Steve

So, it appears the intent of the criterion was the selection of 8 individual fish that would continue to be evaluated, without other conditions like tank size, vision, etc. If you think it matters that your fish can see others, go for it, or maybe even add them to your community tank. Who knows, we might all learn something from your methods! As a small-time hobbyist enjoying the contest (my fry were just days late), I think that's one of the purposes of the whole thing. (Sorry for the mild rant.)

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast