AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My pair about to lay eggs

Default My pair about to lay eggs

Just noticed 2 of my Discus recently paired up in my 54 gallon are about to lay eggs on the filter tube..
    this one is a pigeon blood(male) and probably a Malboro Red (female).
    This would be my first time so any hands on experience is welcome.

Shud I remove in a separate tank.. I have a spare 15 gallons and another 30 gallon tank available..

Shud I be separating them, in either of these tank..if so which one would be ideal.. I don't have RO water but can get from LFS..

Any help is great as Im keen in taking this to next level..
    Last edited by Letsdiscus; 12-09-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Default Re: My pair about to lay eggs

You should let them run their course. Wait until you get a few wigglers or proof that you have both male and female. Read as much as you can in the breeding section and decide if you really want to pursue breeding. RO water is not required for breeding, it will depend on your current water parameters.
    - Dan

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DLock3d View Post
    You should let them run their course. Wait until you get a few wigglers or proof that you have both male and female. Read as much as you can in the breeding section and decide if you really want to pursue breeding. RO water is not required for breeding, it will depend on your current water parameters.
    +1
    Albino Addicted ATM!
    ARSG's and albino royal blues
    juvenile piwow red turk collection

have separated the pair in a 20 gallon tank..currently placed a clay pot but planning to buy the breeding cone..apparently the pair had already laid eggs last night on the intake filter pvc pipe.. not sure if those will survive..

somehow i find the 20 gallon may not be enough..have been reading the breeding section and tons of useful info..

A 20 gallon tank is fine for breeding purposes. You'll have to get something larger for growing out fry if you make it that far. You may have wasted a giant amount of time because you could have two females on your hands. Without wiggles its next to impossible to tell.
    - Dan

Thanks Dan for your feedback. Can you please explain your last sentence "Without wiggles its next to impossible to tell".. R u referring to that it may not be certain if the pair is still male n female?

Thanks

Wigglers or actual hatched eggs are the only way to know for sure if its s pair is what he means. Could be 2 girls, could be male/female but not old enough to be fertile yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the inputs.. actually the female had earlier spawned with my male snake skin. This was about 6-8 months back. I had not been able to separate them that time. So now, she has paired with my pigeon blood. They actually had laid eggs last nite in my community tank on the intake pvc tube and were cleaning them. I unfortunately did not notice when i separated them last nite. by morning today, the eggs were gone.

so now hoping they can spawn again. currently housed them in 20 gallon tank but i find it a bit small. I have another 30 gallon hexagon tank. THinking of moving them there this week with a breeder cone n sponge filter.

current diet- black worms, Omega dried brine shrmps cubes, frozen brine shrimps and live brine shrimps.. Alternate between these daily..

Got another spawn on the breeding tube..previous batch was eaten up.. .The pair has been since moved to a 30 gallon tank.
    Hope this one makes it..

Finally got some wrigglers after series of previous failed attempts...IMG-20130122-00210.jpgIMG-20130122-00209.jpgIMG-20130122-00208.jpg