ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help! Whats wrong with these discus????

Registered Member

Default Help! Whats wrong with these discus????

So over the past month or 2 i have been noticing that my 2 yellows have been turning really really skinny and then my ring leopard turned really black. And they all act weird, they hang out my the drift wood all day and now my neon sappire discus is doing it! And i cant figure out what they have. Can some help me so i can atleast save the neon sappire?? The neon sappire went for the beef heart but the 2 yellows and the ring leopard does not and has not for a while. Here is a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OA1...ature=youtu.be

Please help. Thanks,

-Matt

Default Re: Help! Whats wrong with these discus????

Matt,

Please read the message at the top of the page. Copy and paste the provided disease questionnaire with your answers. There aren't enough details here for anyone to help you.
    - Dan

Registered Member

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
    The problems i have been noticing are in question 2 and i think it started a while ago with either one of my yellows or my black ring leopard.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
    One is very dark with excess slime, not eating, clampes fins sometimes, white/clear poop, hiding behind the drift wood and somewhat cloudy eyes. The 2 yellows, are very skinny, not eating(sometimes tries but spits it out), sometimes clamed fins, i have not seen there poop in a while, usually hiding, sometimes comes out when the other healthy discus come out to me. And the neon sappire just started to act like this yesterday, he is starting to turn a little dark(mainly on the fins so far), he usually is hiding but comes out to the front allot more then the others, tried to eat yesterday but im not sure how much he ate with out spiting it out, clampes his top fins when he is sitting by the drift wood.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
    I treated the tank with prazi pro yesterday and i am going to soak my beef heart with metro

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
    75 gallon, about 2 years, around 5"-3", and there are 10 discus, IT IS A GROW OUT TANK, they are getting moved to my custom 120 in a month or so.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

I change the water about once a week, the tank has been up about 2 years but has had discus for about 1 year and i use RO water and a little well water for my wc's

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp: 85

- ph: 7.0-7.4

- ammonia reading: 0

- nitrite reading: 0

- nitrate reading: was a little high a few days ago so i am picking up on the wc's

- well water ____
    Ro water

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

added discus about 2 months or so ago

Please help me out.

-Matt

Registered Member

also it looks like the black ring leopard has like white slime on him or something.

Without knowing if you quarantined your new arrivals, there's a chance they may have infected your existing stock or vise versa. I personally would remove everything from your tank with exception to your heater, an airstone and your fish. Bleach rinse and air dry everything you remove. If you have an extra tank you could move the fish and bleach the tank they're currently in, that would be preffered. Once the fish are in a bare bottom tank with an airstone and a heater your treatments will be more successful. You've described several symptoms so I'd honestly have to defer to someone else on what you should treat with. If you've already treated with praziquantel and plan on using metro, I'd recommend treating with metro for 14 days. You may even need to retreat with prazi in the new sterile environment.
    - Dan

75 gallon tank with 10 discus and you change water once a week. Definitely increase the water change amount/frequency for the next week or 2 or forever if you can. Also, what is the purpose for the RO water?
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    75 gallon tank with 10 discus and you change water once a week. Definitely increase the water change amount/frequency for the next week or 2 or forever if you can. Also, what is the purpose for the RO water?
    Sorry for the late reply. I talked to kenny and the discus breeders at my LFS and they both reconmended me metro because they indeed have internal parasites or internal bacteria. They said some of my discus i have are a little far gone, because i thought i was external (which is my mistake and im pretty upset because i lost 2 discus already) and so i put the other sicks ones in my QT tank and im treating the tank. And the RO water is cleaner. My regular well water raises ph to like 7.8 so i use RO water because the ph is lower and then i add some well water to put some minerals back into the tank.

7.8 is just fine
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."