AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: beginer needs help

Registered Member

Default beginer needs help

We have a tank in our family room that sees a lot of foot traffic and noise (the t.v is less than a foot away from the tank) is this bad for the fish? we have had discus in our tank before that lasted a long time and seemed fairly healthy untill they were atacked by one of our angel fish. Now our tanks is angel fish free and the only other fish in there are a few guppies. The Discus we bought before cost $50 from our local fish store and were around 3 inches in size. Now we are looking into getting more discuss or possibly other fish to add some color and life to our tank. Is there any fish you guys would suggest besides discuss and where should we get discuss? is there any reputable online dealers? Trying to stay away from 50 dollars a fish or is that the price you have to pay for healthy ones?

Default Re: beginer needs help

The aquarium near the TV is fine as far as I know. I have speakers from my sound system near my tank and nothing effecting the fish.

You can always add some Cardinal Tetras and some Electric Blue or German Rams. I have them with my discus and no issues. They make for good tank mates, especially the way the Cardinals school (at least 6 or more depending on the size of your tank).

Good luck!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Need some more info.... what size is your tank and what kind of filtration, what is the substrate, where are u located? best advice to give u is read all the pinned topics in the beginner section and check out our sponsor section and hobbyist section for some great breeders
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

Registered Member

I have 7 discus, 13 bloodfin tetras, 5 German blue rams, 1 clown pleco, 1 bushy nose pleco, an assasin snail, and a ramshorn snail issue. This tank is in my family room and see's a lot of foot traffic, television, open / closing doors etc. this tank is in the busiest place in my home and everyone is happy. In regards to tv / stereo one needs to limit volume to avoid stressing fish. By that i mean dont turn it up to 11 if you want your fish to live.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvet06 View Post
    Need some more info.... what size is your tank and what kind of filtration, what is the substrate, where are u located? best advice to give u is read all the pinned topics in the beginner section and check out our sponsor section and hobbyist section for some great breeders
    55 gallons. with an underground and above ground filter using carbon. located in toledo ohio

I would get rid of the U/G filter. They are dirt traps. Get rid of the gravel and go with a BB tank with sponge filetrs or HOB.

Quote Originally Posted by itsblown View Post
    55 gallons. with an underground and above ground filter using carbon. located in toledo ohio
    Mike Beals is in Ohio. You could ask him about a few more discus.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

My discus tanks is very near to tv they love watching serial which my mom sees

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    SANDY