ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best way to insulate a tank

Cool Best way to insulate a tank

Hey guys what is the best way to insulate the sides and botom of a tank for grow out and fish room use?
    My fish room is going to be built in my basement where temps stay around 68 year round. I am going to insulate the room walls as well as I want to insulate the tanks to help with energy usage. I was thinking the 1/2" pink foam around the sides and on botom of the tanks. Painting the backs first of course. But am confused on method of attachment. Do I use silicone or something else. Little help appericated. Thanks,

Curt
    So many hobbies, So little time....

Default Re: Best way to insulate a tank

Hi Curt,

A couple months ago I was thinking of doing the same thing. I found this thread and thought it could help you. But read the whole thread and the links, they offer some good tips.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=132341
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

My house stays cold 65-68 and I used the 1/2" foam on the back & bottom. I taped it to the back using heavy duty packing tape. It has done an ok job but I will likely have to re-tape it every 4-6 months. The tape dries out & the foam starts to peel away. I'm looking for a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by decoy50 View Post
    My house stays cold 65-68 and I used the 1/2" foam on the back & bottom. I taped it to the back using heavy duty packing tape. It has done an ok job but I will likely have to re-tape it every 4-6 months. The tape dries out & the foam starts to peel away. I'm looking for a better way.
    See if you can get some TYVEK tape.It's whats used when wrapping a house under it's siding.ment for temperature extremes.I use it on the back of my tanks with that silver "bubble" wrap,I think its called simtex.you can get it by the roll at Menards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Thanks for the info guys, I am doing the bottom back and probably the sides of a 55. I am just hopeing to save on the electric bills and become more efficent on the tanks. Will let you know what I do and post pics later.

Curt
    So many hobbies, So little time....

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and University Discus_KC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jack

I used a product called reflectix on the back and sides of the tank. I used duct tape to seal the edges. 1/2 foam on the bottom. It does a great job.

Jack
    (816) 517-4529

That's the stuff,reflectix!Got the name wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

I used heavy duty velcro to attach 3/4 inch blue foam to the bottom and three sides of my show tank. I painted the edges of the foam black so it would not stick out like a sore thumb. The tank is placed in a closet so all you see is the front. The back, sides and bottom of the 150 have pool sand on the outside of the glass. I did this with epoxy from West Systems. I did the same thing to the sump minus the sand on the outside. 150 gallon tank plus a 50 gallon breeder for a sump. One 300 watt heater does the trick here. Room temp is 65. Tank Temp 82.
    Last edited by Kingdom Come Discus; 12-16-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    Kraig

I don't have a fish room but I used to have the same issues with a greenhouse in winter. Have you looked into products for greenhouse insulation?
    http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...Detail&isDoc=N
    Don't know what the relative expense is but the bubble wrap works very well. Might not be able to sit a full tank directly on it.
    Just some thoughts that I had reading the thread.

Registered Member

I would use a line of silicone around the 4 sides. Should be permanent, yet easily removable with a blade or knife.

g