ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fins

Registered Member

Default Fins

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
    almost 2 weeks ago, hopefuly aint fin rot, noticed one of my discus had broken anal fins closer to the pelvic fins(4-5 bones we broken in half, that pointy parts), noticed that the points have grown back. but now i have noticed something like white spots around the other fins(tail, dorsal & pectorial) the edges are rough. will post a pic later on.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

clamped fins, white rings around fins. i also noticed that sometimes the fins are healing and sometimes deteriorating(possibly).

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

just 50% WC everyday and just lowered the salt dosage to 1 tablespoon every 2 water changes, did a 1 tbs per 10gal a few days ago.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

Tank is brand new, sometime late Nov. no cycle, bought the tank n discus together. my mistake. had advice from other members to insert used media to help boost the BBs(which i did) and completed a DIY sort of Canister. 2 Discus and 3 Clown Loaches. Discus are roughly 2 1/2-3" and Loaches are roughly 3".

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% WC, Armour Coat by Aqua Master.
    Bare Bottom
    No age water.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 29 Celcius

- ph 7.2

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____
    unable to do reading due to no available test kits

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Nope, just the canister 2 days ago.

Update:
    this is my DIY OHSC(Over Head Something like Canister). water doesnt fill all the way to the top, almost touching the cover of the container. its just resting on top of the original OHF.
    Click image for larger version Name: photo(1).JPG Views: 11 Size: 37.9 KB ID: 76891

These are the medias within the container top to bottom(Green Jap Mat, White Wool, CRs & plastic CR thingy)
    Click image for larger version Name: photo.JPG Views: 8 Size: 25.8 KB ID: 76892

This is my other OHF for the same tank and medias are are identical for both OHF except the one with the canister doesnt have Green Jap Mat in it.
    Click image for larger version Name: photo(2).JPG Views: 7 Size: 27.2 KB ID: 76893Click image for larger version Name: photo(3).JPG Views: 6 Size: 21.2 KB ID: 76894

This is the prefilter sponge for both powerheads.
    Click image for larger version Name: photo(4).JPG Views: 6 Size: 30.5 KB ID: 76895

this is from my previous post in the beginners section of the sort of canister.

noticed that there were dust like particles within the tank, like the first time i set up my tank. might be due to BB colonization, noticed that the dust like particles are reducing.

Default Re: Fins

The pictures you posted aren't showing. For 50% wc a day, I'm surprised this is happening. In the first place, I wouldn't start the salt treatment because treating without knowing what the disease is can stress your fish. You can get a test sample (for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites)at a local fish store.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Registered Member

hello all,

here is an updated pic of my effected discus a.k.a Gabana(wife named her).
    photo(6) 2.JPG
    photo(7).JPG

1) is referring to the broken bones of the fin, probably unclear but the bones are now sharp and pointy, at times i can see the tissues recovering sometimes i see white like fungus around it.
    2) referring to the white ring like problem, the tissues are slowly getting worst
    3) referring to the white ring like problem as well, but it has faded yet the edges of the fins are slowly missing.

it has come to my understanding that it might be due to bullying. i have still noticed white feces on the bottom of the tank which is moving, it might be moving due to the waterflow but other feces are just not moving. its a thin like feces probably 1/4" - 1/2" in length. the white like feces is sort of transparent.

please advise.

i havent done my WC today, since i did a WC roughly 16hrs ago. they seem fine without the WC today, but i might have to change it depending on what i observe from them. this next WC will not be including salt. will be taking that advice and see what happens in the next few days.

oh yes, the other discus on the back has fully recovered from its torn fins, yet the black spots are at times fading to greyish color and at other times still bright black. im guessing it is due to stress and i am uncertain that it could be peppering.

Registered Member

Just an update on my water parameter.

I just finish feeding my fishes about 1/2hrs before I did the test.

Results:
    Ph - 7.2
    Ammonia - 0.5
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0

I haven't done a WC in 24hrs.

Any recommendations on my water parameter? I had the tank n discus on the same day, no cycling. I did how ever added a used white cotton which I got from a friend to boost my BBs.

I have had both tank n fishes for exactly 2 weeks now.

Please advice.

Is my fish having fin rot? Is my tank fully cycled?

How often should I been checking my water parameter?