AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Gill Flukes or Internal Parasites? Need treatment advice.

Registered Member

Default Gill Flukes or Internal Parasites? Need treatment advice.

I've had a few discus die over the past 6 months. 3 of my discus are not eating and seem to be more aggressive. I did notice one of them hiding in the corner alone for a few days and once I say him scratch his side against a plant. I never see them poop but I know for sure there is NO white feces in the tank. I've only had 3 discus for a few months so I was doing water changes every 2 weeks (50%) I added two more last Friday so I will be doing 50% water changes weekly now (Tomorrow will be a water change).

I did add half a cup of kosher salt in one of my buckets last week because I thought maybe it can help. Sometimes I see two of them picking at the bottom but not sure if they are really eating because when I put food in the tank they never eat it. It can hit them in the head and they don't care. They haven;t been eating for about 6weeks (unless they are picking a bit on the bottom). I offer krill, frozen worms, flakes. I used to feed live worms and maybe they gave them parasites. BUT when I realized they are not eating I decided no more LIVE food becasue I've lost too many discus and I think it's from the live food.

So I'm think maybe internal parasite or gill flukes (because of the scratching) I also so see a very tiny white line close to the eye. They aren't showing any other symptoms... it's not ick. Not sure if I should take all the fish out into a quarantine tank in case it's gill flukes? I heard you can never really kill the eggs unless there are no fish in the main tank for 7 days?

What's the best treatment I can use. Is there something that works for gill flukes and internal parasite?

I also have been soaking their food in garlic for four days hoping to help until I find out how to treat.

75 Gallon
    5 discus, 2 cory cats, 1 goby, 1 tetra, 1 upside down catfish (hides all day) and one algae eater and snails
    No Ammonia
    No Nitrates/nitrites
    PH 6.6
    84 degrees

I use mostly RO water and add discus essentials. The 25% tap water I use I treat for chlorine.

Thanks,
    Robin

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Gill Flukes or Internal Parasites? Need treatment advice.

Quote Originally Posted by goblin321 View Post
    I've had a few discus die over the past 6 months. 3 of my discus are not eating and seem to be more aggressive. I did notice one of them hiding in the corner alone for a few days and once I say him scratch his side against a plant. I never see them poop but I know for sure there is NO white feces in the tank. I've only had 3 discus for a few months so I was doing water changes every 2 weeks (50%) I added two more last Friday so I will be doing 50% water changes weekly now (Tomorrow will be a water change).

I did add half a cup of kosher salt in one of my buckets last week because I thought maybe it can help. Sometimes I see two of them picking at the bottom but not sure if they are really eating because when I put food in the tank they never eat it. It can hit them in the head and they don't care. They haven;t been eating for about 6weeks (unless they are picking a bit on the bottom). I offer krill, frozen worms, flakes. I used to feed live worms and maybe they gave them parasites. BUT when I realized they are not eating I decided no more LIVE food becasue I've lost too many discus and I think it's from the live food.

So I'm think maybe internal parasite or gill flukes (because of the scratching) I also so see a very tiny white line close to the eye. They aren't showing any other symptoms... it's not ick. Not sure if I should take all the fish out into a quarantine tank in case it's gill flukes? I heard you can never really kill the eggs unless there are no fish in the main tank for 7 days?

What's the best treatment I can use. Is there something that works for gill flukes and internal parasite?

I also have been soaking their food in garlic for four days hoping to help until I find out how to treat.

75 Gallon
    5 discus, 2 cory cats, 1 goby, 1 tetra, 1 upside down catfish (hides all day) and one algae eater and snails
    No Ammonia
    No Nitrates/nitrites
    PH 6.6
    84 degrees

I use mostly RO water and add discus essentials. The 25% tap water I use I treat for chlorine.

Thanks,
    Robin
    Hello robin, well I would first start by upping your water changes to three times a week minimum and use aged tap water I also live in chicago and our tap water is fine as long as you age it first. you can do an
    R/O mix like your doing but I would go more like 50 50 unless your trying to breed I wouldnt worry to much about the PH at this point other than to be consistent. I would not add anymore kosher salt or medications until you give the clean water a try first. Discus have an amazing way of fixing there own problems if you give them the proper tools (fresh clean water and lots of it)......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Hello robin, well I would first start by upping your water changes to three times a week minimum and use aged tap water I also live in chicago and our tap water is fine as long as you age it first. you can do an
    R/O mix like your doing but I would go more like 50 50 unless your trying to breed I wouldnt worry to much about the PH at this point other than to be consistent. I would not add anymore kosher salt or medications until you give the clean water a try first. Discus have an amazing way of fixing there own problems if you give them the proper tools (fresh clean water and lots of it)......Josie
    +1
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post

I will try this but I'm afraid of the PH changing to much. It;s hard for me to collect the RO water since my system only gives me about 7.5 gallons a day. I usually start collecting daily and then do my water change a the end of the week. So right now I only have 15 gallons of RO. If I were to use more Tap water how much can I change the PH each time?

Registered Member

Oh forgot to ask how much water would I change 3x a week? 50% percent? And for how long? Do most of you change it that often all the time or only when there is a problem?