ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heroina isonycterina, a rare little "mini-severum" type cichlid from Colombia

Default Re: Heroina isonycterina, a rare little "mini-severum" type cichlid from Colombia

The new batch of wrigglers is in a tank with added calcium/magnesium, so we will see if that improves things. Let's hope it's something that simple.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Heroina isonycterina, a rare little "mini-severum" type cichlid from Colombia

Ryan, I need to bring you some of my water. Hope this works out for you.

We aren't even that far apart! Why can't our water be the same. lol

Real Name
    Pat

It should be Ryan but I am on a well.

Registered Member

They are cute little fish~

I'm cautiously optimistic that Al's suggestions have worked. The previous batch of fry are about 1/4" long now and their pectoral fins appear normal this time. If all goes well, I can start shipping these guys out in a month or so, just in time for warmer weather.

Another pair has spawned this weekend. Here are a few pictures of mom in breeding dress and dad keeping watch.

That is great Ryan. Fingers crossed.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Happy little Heroina fry with perfect fins. They'll be ready to go via USPS as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.

The Heroina are ready to go at approximately 1". I shipped out a batch of 24 to jonclark96 (Jon) and dogofwar (Matt) from MonsterFishKeepers on Monday and it took them three days to arrive via USPS Priority, but no DOAs and all fish were settled and eating tonight. I'm so proud to be one of the first people to offer F1s of this uncommon little cichlid.

Real Name
    Pat

Ryan, can a group of six of these guys be placed in a 10 gallon starting out?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I answered in the other thread, Pat, but I'll put it here too.

At this size you'd probably be okay for a few weeks. You may eventually want to get them into a tank with a larger footprint so they can get away from each other. I raised my 10 out in a 55 gallon until the males got to about 3 - 4", then I moved the males to a larger tank which left me with about 6 fish in a 55. Now I'm down to 2 pairs per 55 which works out alright. Pairs will beat the snot out of other fish when they are protecting free-swimming fry.

Real Name
    Pat

Oops, sorry Ryan. I posted here and meant to post in your thread and thought I lost a post

The kids are big enough to photograph now. The flash washes them out a bit but you can see the blue iridescence coming in on the fins and the iridescent blue flecks on their bodies. They're also developing a nice red edge along their dorsals. Chunky and feisty, just like mom and dad, and thanks to Al they all have perfect fins. I've only had to cull some stragglers in terms of growth. I've sold about 50 of these guys through ACA and MonsterFishKeepers.

Real Name
    Pat

I really like these guys Ryan but alas you say they can not be mixed with discus

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Nice job on these Ryan!! Man the spawning adults really look nice with the blue coming through
    Mark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast