ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heroina isonycterina, a rare little "mini-severum" type cichlid from Colombia

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Heroina isonycterina, a rare little "mini-severum" type cichlid from Colombia

Ryan, you are what turned me on to festivum cichlids. And now you have turned me onto these fish. I am like you, love the behavior of cichlids.
    ~JACKLYN~

Default Re: Heroina isonycterina, a rare little "mini-severum" type cichlid from Colombia

Those are some sweet fish! I saw some available on tangle up in cichlids not too long ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Yes, my wilds came from Jeff. He is breeding the same stock I am. I quit raising F1 because we both had so many that neither of us were able to get rid of them. I always point people in his direction for fry.

Jeff got some good stock. Most of my SA (uaru, daemon, etc) came from him. He got some discus too but not too well known for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're coming up on three years with these guys. I have whittled it down to one wild pair. They're currently alone in a 210 with a single male Krobia guianensis. They haven't spawned in several months even though the male desperately cleans driftwood and flirts with the female. I'm not sure how much longer I'll have them, or even how long their lifespan is (not much is known about them), so I decided to make one last video.

Registered Member

Hi Ryan
    Beautiful fishes, I'm from Colombia and I haven't seen these fishes in any LFS.

thx for bring them up.
    Best,

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ryan, you have some of the best looking fish! How many tanks do you currently have up and running?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by kira ken View Post
    Hi Ryan
    Beautiful fishes, I'm from Colombia and I haven't seen these fishes in any LFS.

thx for bring them up.
    Best,
    Thanks. They are not an easy fish to find! Not many fisherman are looking for them because there is little demand. They are not popular like discus, angelfish, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Ryan, you have some of the best looking fish! How many tanks do you currently have up and running?
    Thanks, Ricardo. Right now I'm running three 150s, a 210, four 55s, a couple 40 breeders and a couple 20s. The larger tanks are set up as communities. I like to grow out cichlids in groups of 4 - 8, let them pair naturally and spawn in the community tanks, then siphon any fry I want to raise and move them to the smaller tanks for grow-out. Right now I'm working with mostly small to medium-sized fish so I can get away with several species in the relatively small amount of space I have. Right now I've got:

- Angels (wild-cross, F3 wild Peruvian, Bulgarian Seal Point, pinoy paraiba)
    - Geophagus sp. 'Red Head Tapajos'
    - Aequidens sp. Janero Herrera (wild)
    - Electric blue acaras
    - Andinoacara latifrons (platinum acaras) (wild)
    - Ivanacara adoketa F1

I have a few odds and ends pairs that are older and haven't really spawned as much but I keep them around (mouthbrooding severums, Krobia guianensis) as well as a few individuals that I'm attached to. It's actually the least amount of fish I've had in the last six or so years.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Amazing Ryan. I've been back and forth about getting discus for my upcoming tank build and was looking for an alternate cichlid, but have found that I always come back to discus. Cichlids are fiesty little things and I'd hate to get a group of a new cichlid and not understand their proper living conditions.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234