ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sick discus

Registered Member

Exclamation Sick discus

So i have a 90 gal tank with 4 disus, some neon tetras, rummynose, dwarf cichlids and a few bottom feeders. One of my discus is very thin but eats like a pig. His belly is always fat so he may have a bit of bloating. His poo is normal so i dont know what it could be. He was getting bullied for a couple weeks and was constantly black in colour so i removed the bully. My ph is at 6.8 temp 83 nitrates always less than 5 or 6. Any advice would be great.
    Last edited by ABCGIO; 12-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Default Re: Sick discus

Hi,
    Have you ever dewormed these discus?... you could have a parasite problem like worms.. May be a good idea to deworm with Praziquantel for tape worms and follow up with a general dewormer for non-tape worms...something like levamisol.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

thank you for the fast reply. I have treated with prazipro and i used metro about a month ago in the water to treat another problem. If i treat their food with seachem metro, will that kill any other parasites? i tried to post a picture but it wouldnt let me. i will try again though

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi,
    Have you ever dewormed these discus?... you could have a parasite problem like worms.. May be a good idea to deworm with Praziquantel for tape worms and follow up with a general dewormer for non-tape worms...something like levamisol.

hth,
    al
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ABCGIO View Post
    thank you for the fast reply. I have treated with prazipro and i used metro about a month ago in the water to treat another problem. If i treat their food with seachem metro, will that kill any other parasites? i tried to post a picture but it wouldnt let me. i will try again though
    Metro is not a dewormer. Maybe go with a round of Levamisole or Flubendazole. If the fish is eating, food laced with fenbendazole is good option. One food I've used in the past is the deworming flake from Angelsplus. Does your fish take flake pretty easily?
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

yes, he loves flakes and i give them to him in the morning and blood worms or brine shrimp at night. should i treat all my discus with this? or will only the sick one have parasites? where might i be able to find these medications? i live in a small town to its more difficult to get these. does anyone think that maybe he became skinny due to stress and will eventually fatten up? or should i treat it anyway? i treated for worms with prazipro.
    Last edited by ABCGIO; 12-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Right here, the Deworm Flake and Deworm Flake 3 (new item) should do the trick. Deworm flake II is praziquantel and used only for tapeworms and you already used Prazipro so no need for another treatment.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

should i treat all my discus or just the sick one? what about kusuri? will that work as well? i am able to get it on tuesday so that would probably be the quickest option. The active ingredient in that is flubendazole
    Last edited by ABCGIO; 12-16-2012 at 06:02 AM.

should i treat all my discus or just the sick one? what about kusuri? will that work as well? i am able to get it on tuesday so that would probably be the quickest option. The active ingredient in that is flubendazole
    Sure Kusuri dewormer is also good. Treat all the fish and follow up treatment in 3 weeks.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Ok perfect. I sure hope it is safe with tetras and gets rid of the problem. I amhoping to add two more discus in the future after i get this all sorted out. Im not 100% sure if my one discus will make it although he still eats like mad even though he is quite skinny. sure hope he does. Thank you for your advice.

Ok perfect. I sure hope it is safe with tetras and gets rid of the problem. I amhoping to add two more discus in the future after i get this all sorted out. Im not 100% sure if my one discus will make it although he still eats like mad even though he is quite skinny. sure hope he does. Thank you for your advice.
    Anytime, and good luck with them. Hope everything turns out.
    Visit Eddie's Place

+1 ,Agree with Eddie's advise here....best of luck with your fish!

take care,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Does Kusuri Wormer Plus harm the BIO?

Registered Member

I dont think it does. It might do minimal damage but a lot of other fourms say that it wont.