AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Skimmer Question

Default Protein Skimmer Question

Hello friends,

Would it be practical to replace my Remora C (which does not seem to be doing anything anymore even with a new pump) and get Reef Octopus® BH2000 HOB skimmer with external OTP 2000 pump and keep my AquaClear 70 for filtration or is the OTP 2000 overkill for a 50 gallon reef and just go with the OTP 1000? Figure for $20.00 more the pump size is double at 500gph as to the 250 gph on the OTP 1000.

I was thinking of converting a 20 gallon wet/dry into a sump with live rock and sand and get an in-sump skimmer. I can also attach a 30 gallon refugium to the sump as well but that too may just be overkill but the volume of water exchanging would be near 100 gallons. Again, could be overkill.

I was also going to replace the AquaClear 70 with a Rena XP canister for more forced water movement throughout the reef as opposed to 3 powerheads that I am using now. I can add a spray-bar to the Rena to cover most of the surface of the tank.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. But right now my skimmer is the main thing I need to get going right now as the reef not getting the proper skimming anymore and I don't want to cause too many issues.

Thanks,

Jeff
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Default Re: Protein Skimmer Question

You can overkill a skimmer with no problems. I'd steer clear of a canister filter,unless your just moving water through it with no media in it. They are nitrate factory's with media in them. I run a 90 with 20 gallon sump and have 2 Koralia powerheads. Lots of liverock is my filter!!

Thats what I was thinking of doing to Darcy, I have about 20 lbs of rock clean and ready to use.

The canister can be filled with pieces of live rock and sponges like a sump and easier to clean, but the sump can hold my skimmer and heater too.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Jeff
    don't put sponges in there man!! BAD!!! Been there done that type of deal,it will cause you heartbreak down the road!

Double post,sorry about that!
    Last edited by darcy; 01-04-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Double post

Hmm, I seen some "reefers" discussing using poret foam in their canisters with 1" pieces of live rock. Will find that thread and review it.

Thanks Darcy!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

There's nothing better than a sump, get the bigest you can put inside stand.
    -Ismael

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Jeff, when I had my reef setup a overlarge skimmer and a sump was all that was needed. If you decide on a in sump skimmer make sure the sump can handle the footprint (plus pump) of the skimmer. I had a three chamber sump, one of the inlet with fine mesh bags, one for the skimmer and third chamber for the pump return. I would personally not have a canister filter. I do not see the need. As for flow I found with the rock structure in the tank I needed the pumps so the flow could be customized around the rock structure.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...cus-I-Had-This

Any pictures of your sump Pat?

I have a few options for a sump. I have a 30 gallon with 2 sections (can easily add a third). I have the 30 gallon Refugium and I have the wet/dry that has small sections in it for general purposes.

My reef has been running good for 3 years now, but it is all of a sudden developing algae issues and phosphate issues. But I would like to increase the water volume and move the equipment to a sump for sure.

wetdry.jpg

wetdry2.jpg
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Real Name
    Pat

Here you go Jeff. This picture were leak testing prior to insertion into the stand

and in the stand. Skimmer was in the first chamber. I am using this sump on a discus tank today.

Thanks Pat for the pics. I like the design. In the first pic, where did you get the filter socs that I see?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Real Name
    Pat

LFS Jeff but they are cheaper online.

Default Protein Skimmer Question

Hmm I've had my protein skimmer on my reef shut off bc I never could get it quiet. I've been fighting with severe algae growth for a while too. Guess I need to get it going again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

Yeah Jaimie thats my problem, even after adding a new pump and adjust the airflow it still not doing much. I tried cleaning out the system and ports but still not much collecting in the cup. And, because of that, my algae is getting a bit out of control.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

yeah my tank looks like the tank on finding nemo after he put the rock in the filter and all the walls were covered in algae. i scrape it off and its back the next day. im about ready to sell the whole thing bc im tired of seeing a wall of green
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast