ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eggs look like cue ball

Default Re: Eggs look like cue ball

R:

Congrats. Now you get help from D. Don't give up. Keep trying. You will get it right. Write every thing down in a journal.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post
    Fungus wouldnt be the problem either btw, screw the meth blue. Even if you DO get fungus it rarely actually causes any problems, with the fish or the hatch rate....

As a med its worth using.... in breeding instances, I think its almost pointless and does more harm by increasing nitrites/ammonia/nitrate from killing of nitrifying bacteria than it does good by beating back fungus. Just my opinion, but hey, I have hard water, get good hatch rates, and raise more babies than Id actually prefer to have from a single batch lol.
    Hi Drew,
    Are you able hatch in the hard water? Or, after using an RO unit?
    Thanks,
    James
    Do not eat natural food...I used to eat a lot of natural food until I heard most people die of natural causes.

I CAN hatch in my water, which is not excessively hard but certainly not soft. Problem comes into play with hatch rates, hatch in my water without RO and of a batch of 300 eggs you'll get 40-50 wrigglers and a good batch of 35 or so. Now use the RO unit and that all changes, 300 eggs gets me to 200+ wrigglers and easily a good batch of around 175.... Now at the point they are wrigglers I begin moving them back to aged tap progressively over a week. For most people.... Do you even have the room to raise 200+ discus every week? Things to think about.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post
    I CAN hatch in my water, which is not excessively hard but certainly not soft. Problem comes into play with hatch rates, hatch in my water without RO and of a batch of 300 eggs you'll get 40-50 wrigglers and a good batch of 35 or so. Now use the RO unit and that all changes, 300 eggs gets me to 200+ wrigglers and easily a good batch of around 175.... Now at the point they are wrigglers I begin moving them back to aged tap progressively over a week. For most people.... Do you even have the room to raise 200+ discus every week? Things to think about.

Thanks for the info.
    That is very interesting. I wonder if a line was continued from those that do hatch in your "hardened" water, if following generations could have greater success rates in harder water??
    Do not eat natural food...I used to eat a lot of natural food until I heard most people die of natural causes.

Highly unlikely

Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12