ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A sense of accoplishment and Thank You Simply peopleand Bill (Inland Empire Discus)!!

Talking A sense of accoplishment and Thank You Simply peopleand Bill (Inland Empire Discus)!!

I cannot even begin to list the things I have learned since joining Simply, but to be able to put some of those things to use, to build up my little fish room gives me such a sense of accomplishment it is amazing.

I learned how to silicone a tank and the first tank I tried it on was a 125g. Probably not the best tank to try it on, but it has been running for ever 2 years now and holds my favorite fish.

Silly to some, but to actually build my own stand and have it stay up is a bit shocking to say the least. I once built a ramp for my dog to get onto the bed after he had surgery. I tried to show him how to use it by walking up it slowly. I realized there was a fatal flaw when I got to the top and pitched forward knocking over lamp and crashing into a wall. Middle and front bracing is important. It took an hour for my dog to even come back into the room. I stopped trying to build anything after that and ended up buying him steps. So I read all the info here and low and behold the tanks and stands are still upright.

Bill from Inland Empire Discus taught me how to build a sump and how to do the plumbing. He helped me with water flow and aeration pointing out things I would need. I think I questioned him for a month straight before I took the plunge and that sump has been running for well over a year with only one set back when a section wall came loose. Bill also taught me how to drill a tank, but until last week when I got this wild hair to change around my fish room I was not going to even try it. I took the plunge and bought the drill bit and prayed that if I cracked the three tanks that needed drilling that the Petco $1 per gallon sale was still going on. Turns out I did not need any other tanks. I did chip two though...lol Not bad for my first time. Thanks Bill! You are a great guy!! Oh and need some advice a new water pump so I will be calling you.

Pictures of my little room coming soon. I am one tank shy (sterilizing and waiting for a bulkhead) and need to figure out some lighting on my top tanks. Once those are done I will post pictures.

Mishka

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default A sense of accoplishment and Thank You Simply peopleand Bill (Inland Empire Discus)!!

I find it utterly amazing how much information is on this site. It blows my mind!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Default Re: A sense of accoplishment and Thank You Simply peopleand Bill (Inland Empire Discu

I take it for granted how fortunate I was as a discus hobbyist to find this site.
    Knowledge base and resources are phenomenal.
    MOLON LABE

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: A sense of accoplishment and Thank You Simply peopleand Bill (Inland Empire Discu

Mishka, I love posts like yours. It shows how much we have grown in this hobby and really as people. Congrats on all you have accomplished here.
    Pat

It will be nice to see some pictures!
    -Ismael

Thanks Pat!

Here is a picture of my mini fish room before the changes.

Mishka

OK here is my my new setup.

Mishka

That's really BRILLIANT!!!
    -Ismael

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Love it ......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That is awesome Mishka.

Thanks Ismael and Josie!! I still cannot believe it is standing...lol I kind of wish I had one of those rolling ladders you see in posh libraries. Instead of having to climb up then down them move the step ladder. That would be so sweet and yet dangerous. I am a bit of a klutz.

Mishka