AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pigeon Blood Male X Red Cover Female

Registered Member

Default Pigeon Blood Male X Red Cover Female

Hi,
    I have a male pigeon blood discus. He has very heavy peppering. I have a female red cover (Rose red, Virgin Red, San Merah). She is couple with a male Red Cover but her male is not fertilize the eggs. So I want to change her male with pigeon blood discus. However, I dont know that all babies will be pigeon with high peppering or not? Is there anybody test this kind of couple. I will be very glad if you inform me. Thank you so much.

Default Re: Pigeon Blood Male X Red Cover Female

A pigeon with a non pigeon will equal heavy peppering. Not a good combination.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Quote Originally Posted by oguzburcin View Post
    Hi,
    I have a male pigeon blood discus. He has very heavy peppering.
    Are you happy with your very heavy peppering male? If Yes, go for it
    Ryan

I know the temptation to raise babies - any babies - can be pretty strong in this hobby. If you go ahead with the pairing, what are you going to do with the fry?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    I know the temptation to raise babies - any babies - can be pretty strong in this hobby. If you go ahead with the pairing, what are you going to do with the fry?
    Inbreeding

I don't understand...

The fry will be very undesirable and difficult to sell. If you want to breed get a compatible proven pair and work with them.

Real Name
    Rick

Hi,
    I have a male pigeon blood discus. He has very heavy peppering. I have a female red cover (Rose red, Virgin Red, San Merah). She is couple with a male Red Cover but her male is not fertilize the eggs. So I want to change her male with pigeon blood discus. However, I dont know that all babies will be pigeon with high peppering or not? Is there anybody test this kind of couple. I will be very glad if you inform me. Thank you so much.
    A picture of your pigeon blood would be helpfull, but unless you plan on Line breeding out several generations (nothing wrong with this), you won't be very happy with the results. In order to get ANY decent offspring from the cross you would want to start with a clean pigeon blood, and preferably a solid one at that. Now for what it is worth, I have done a very simular cross.

For starters the male (please note the fry in the picture are NOT the fry from this cross)
    Albino Red Melon-pigeon blood

And the female-Vigin red (very simular to a red cover)(again fry in picture is from a different batch)

Ok now for the results:

Ok, just in case your saying that "Hey, that's not that bad" you need the rest of the story. Out of about 100 fry, there were about three that were worth saving to work with ( I had something very specific in mind when I did this cross). If your starting with a dirty pigeon, or one that has pattern, your results most likely will be even less than that. If your looking to breed a pair of discus with the intent of selling a good part of the offspring, this cross is highly unadvisable.

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 01-19-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]