AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Does size really matter if your a discus fish?

Default Does size really matter if your a discus fish?

I have a red turq (female) who is (was ) a great breeder. She is only about 3-3.5 inches. Through a freak mishap her male died and since then I have tried to pair her with another male (her size) to no avail. I have a great 5.5 inch male red turq I would like to try with her. I guess my question is my pairs are always around the same size - have you bred such a size difference? Does it work?

Registered Member

Default Re: Does size really matter if your a discus fish?

I do not know much but I do not think that pairs are around the same size. I believe it has more to do with who's gravid and if a male steps up(he may or may not be fertile...at the time). But they normally keep trying. Second thought you had a fertile male at 3-3.5 inches? If so were they siblings or just didn't grow? And if you have another fertile male at 3.5 and he does not grow anymore then your doing something wrong or buying fish from the wrong person.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsenion View Post
    I do not know much but I do not think that pairs are around the same size. I believe it has more to do with who's gravid and if a male steps up(he may or may not be fertile...at the time). But they normally keep trying. Second thought you had a fertile male at 3-3.5 inches? If so were they siblings or just didn't grow? And if you have another fertile male at 3.5 and he does not grow anymore then your doing something wrong or buying fish from the wrong person.
    When I bought that group they definitely had something going on. I'm not sure really why they were somewhat stunted but they never grew like my other discus. Interestingly enough their offspring grow very well. I bought those 6 fish probobly 1.5 years ago. Three never grew at all - and the other three maxed out at 3.5. Fish that grew up in the same tanks with them grew much larger. Go figure. But that's kind of where I'm at - I have a 6-6.5 male I'd love to put with her but hes huge compared to her and I don't know if that's even a possibility.

the male can fertilize a little discus eggs just as well as a big discus eggs i would think .now if he wants to is the question.maybe he is in to midgets maybe not lol
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Real Name
    Tim Allen

It shouldn't matter if they have paired. Smaller females produce less eggs but shouldn't effect the way the male performs if they pair and keen to go.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Interestingly enough their offspring grow very well.
    Bescause it is not genetic, they were stunted and not properly taken care of, lack of food and clean water, maybe sick. Could have been lots of things but not genetic. Until you got them and gave them proper care who knows what they were exposed to. Saddly it was too late for them.