ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Breathing problems

Default Breathing problems

Here is a video of my red turk breathing!

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...5133E031AE.mp4Disease Questionnaire - please complete
    Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

My two 8 month old discus that I bought together from Hans, breath heavily, one with both gills swelling out with each breath, and the other with only one gill swelling out with each breath, while the second gill is normal. I have noticed this since purchase (6 months ago), but it seems to have increased over time.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

No other symptoms!!!

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

No treatment done!

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

60 gallon tank, 5 discus. 3 adult discus, and the 2, 8 month old discus with breathing problems!

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Tank has been up one and a half years., sand substrate, do not age water, 50% WC daily.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp. 86 degrees

- ph 7

- ammonia reading. 0

- nitrite reading. 0

- nitrate reading 5

- well water. no

- municipal water yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No, however I have 3 Cory cats, and 2 bristle nose pleco sharing the tank.
    Last edited by krislewis3; 01-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Unhappy Re: Breathing problems

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...976BAB6E5C.mp4

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...976045501D.mp4

Above are two videos of my red Turk breathing, in the first video you can see my red turk., breathing heavily from the front. In the second video, I caught a side view of the red turk., showing lung tissue showing during breathing. Also my silver pigeon is shown in the second video showing (not very well) of the uneven breathing. The right side is normal, compared to the left side that expands with every breath.

I'd appreciate any advise!!! Thanks, Kris
    Last edited by krislewis3; 01-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Breathing problems

Tank has been up one and a half years., sand substrate, do not age water, 50% WC daily
    Problem number one....Aging water is very important and not to be skipped. Get a 50g waste container with a lid fill it with H20 a couple of air stones and a heater matching your water temperature in the tank. Let the H20 age and gas out for at least 12-24 hours and start doing water changes with the aged aerated water your fish will really appreciate not having PH swings in the tank. As far as the breathing/filaments problem IMO its mostly caused by ammonia/toxins in the tank or from shipping. You can take those two guys out of the tank and and set up a 20 gallon treatment tank and give them a round of Furan-2 or bio-furan what ever you have available. you can also treat them with a salt bath at the same time at one gram per liter. If you are using API Furan-2 make sure to take into account that its cut with 10% salt. Now as far as salt goes I prefer Marine salt its a little more expensive but you really don't need a large quantity. You can treat with the salt and Furan-2 at the same time for four days W/80 percent water changes in-between.......But please start aging your water it makes a world of difference........Hope this helps......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

I agree iam a novice at discus and i noticed a huge difference with aging !

It should be placed in the stikies as mandatory to anyone who want to do 20% or more daily imo .

Thank you Josie, and chipmunk636 for your interest and help! Yes, I will work on setting up a system to age my water! Secondly, is it ok to treat these two discus along with the other healthy discus? I don't have an empty tank at the moment!