AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: what would the outcome of this cross be

Default what would the outcome of this cross be

the red one is the male, he is a so called siam red master bought from a really sketchy breeder, but turned out very pretty. The female is a leopard bought from marion at florida discus, i believe it is a ricky lim fish. The fish have paired up , and thef emale has already layed eggs twice, 1st time the male never fertilized them, and this time i didnt watch, so i have no idea if he did. Does anyone have any idea on what the cross would produce??
    [IMG][/IMG]

Default Re: what would the outcome of this cross be

Welcome to Simply!!

how big are these fish?
    -Ismael

Quote Originally Posted by a volar View Post
    Welcome to Simply!!

how big are these fish?
    Thank you very much, ive been reading this as a guest for a while now, figured it was time to join. The info on this forum is amazing.
    But both of them are around 5 inches

should be all red like the male but he looks to be a cross to so maybe not all red
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Quote Originally Posted by cjr8420 View Post
    should be all red like the male but he looks to be a cross to so maybe not all red
    is the red gene dominant in this case?? Is the leopard gene recessive??

Quote Originally Posted by fpinto4036 View Post
    check this out very similar to what u got and u can see http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...n-x-Virgin-Red
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

I'm really intrigued by them. The red one has a lot of blue on his face, and he also has blue spots on his tail, so I wonder if that would stick. The keep spawning every 6-8 days, but the last 3 times the female ate the eggs on the second day after laying. Can discus fish usually tell if the eggs are not fertilized??

Real Name
    Rick

the red one is the male, he is a so called siam red master bought from a really sketchy breeder, but turned out very pretty.
    There lies the key. Without knowing the genentics of the male, everything is just a guess. You most likely will get a lot of solid browns with red, while you may get some with varying degrees of pattern.

Neither of these traits are expressed due to the existance of one specific gene, but rather a combination of genes, at least that is how I understand it. Maybe Rod could shed a bit more light on that for us. Furthermore, your male might have a decent amount of red genetics inside him, but the males of that phenotype tend to be darker and less red than there female counterparts.

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    There lies the key. Without knowing the genentics of the male, everything is just a guess. You most likely will get a lot of solid browns with red, while you may get some with varying degrees of pattern.

Neither of these traits are expressed due to the existance of one specific gene, but rather a combination of genes, at least that is how I understand it. Maybe Rod could shed a bit more light on that for us. Furthermore, your male might have a decent amount of red genetics inside him, but the males of that phenotype tend to be darker and less red than there female counterparts.

Rick
    Rick is spot on. The 'red' and 'leopard' genes are not the result of a single gene mutation. When multiple genes are involved, the tendency is to have a more mixed looking progeny as the genes will combine in many different combinations each giving a differnt effect.

thank you guys so much for the info. Im fairly new to the discus hobby, but have been completely addicted ever since i started. Now in you guys' opinion, should i let them breed, or should i separate them based on the possibility of the offsprings not really being attractive.