ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Wild Pterophyllum scalare wild from Rio Nanay PERU! LOAD WARNING!

Real Name
    David

Default Re: My Wild Pterophyllum scalare wild from Rio Nanay PERU! LOAD WARNING!

Ahh...
    Thank you very much for the response.

I totally understand what you mean on the changes in the hobby due to the internet. I stopped keeping fish in 1995 & just started back last year.
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Registered Member

Default Re: My Wild Pterophyllum scalare wild from Rio Nanay PERU! LOAD WARNING!

There are officially only three specis of angelfish, scalare, leopoldi and altum. Unofficially, what we know as a scalare are probably a flock of species. Rio negro altum is probably the true P.scalare. Red shoulders, rio nanay (peru altum), and other localities are probably different species. Tailtail sign for this is that the other two species (altum and lepoldi) live only in certain watersheds, while "scalare" can be found in all the amazon, orinoco and guayans. Its highly unlikely that that would be only one species living in a such huge area. especially if you consider biogeography of similar heroiini clades, like uararos, mesonautas and discus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12