AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Diamond Pair

Default Re: Blue Diamond Pair

Those are beautiful discus and fantastic photos.

Is there anyone that is offering blue diamonds with red eyes like this? Insanely beautiful.

Real Name
    Matt

I got these from Mike Beals, shoot him a message and see what he can get. I do have to admit though, these fish did not keep their color. They are now a more drab grey color with a little blue on their fins. They still eat great, and I haven't changed the diet any, they are fat and happy....but the blue just doesn't hold. I've noticed this with many blues lately and discussed the same thing with Eric (Carolina Discus) and he's noted a similar outcome.
    -Matt

What the heck!? Why isn't the blue holding? Surely these "faded" discus are not being fed hormones. In the ram world and flowerhorn world, this is what would cause them to lose their color. At least if its a drastic color loss. The type of food can ofcourse impact this as well but im not sure it would impact it as much as what you are describing. What are your thoughts on why they have lost so much color?

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post
    What the heck!? Why isn't the blue holding? Surely these "faded" discus are not being fed hormones. In the ram world and flowerhorn world, this is what would cause them to lose their color. At least if its a drastic color loss. The type of food can ofcourse impact this as well but im not sure it would impact it as much as what you are describing. What are your thoughts on why they have lost so much color?
    It is quite possible that they were juiced up but who really knows what is the case.
    Babar

Registered Member

The Blue Diamond in general, has lost it's color over the years from when they were first made available(affordable)to the hobbyist. They were much bluer when they first came out and people complained about the Carrot orange eye. Take that eye color over present body color hands down. The sad state of the blue is why I won't keep any for myself. Much better blue fish out there IMO...Bill

I would love to know what you find a better alternative?

And I find that pair stunning, hope they bring you little bundles of slime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    The Blue Diamond in general, has lost it's color over the years from when they were first made available(affordable)to the hobbyist. They were much bluer when they first came out and people complained about the Carrot orange eye. Take that eye color over present body color hands down. The sad state of the blue is why I won't keep any for myself. Much better blue fish out there IMO...Bill

Registered Member

Wayne Blue Titans...VR's...Blue/Violet Knights. Stendker Cobalts...Bill

Real Name
    Matt

I'm coming to the same realization on the blues, especially after speaking to Eric about it. He's seen the same thing for a while. I held hope as I love a clean BD with red eyes. I can't confirm or deny they were juiced, and I don't want to make any judgement on that but once they started fading they faded really fast. Female first, then the male. Like I said, no diet change, same water, their health is still just as good as it was so either its the genes or the juice I would say....which for sure is a mystery. Not Mike's fault in anyway, wanted to throw that out before someone jumps to conclusions.....like stated I just think its the blue asian lines these days.

I will try and get a picture to show you all. It really is quite a drastic difference.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Prepare to be shocked. Would love to hear opinions after seeing the pictures. These 2 faded then I moved them to the 100gal to be with all of the other misfits, but my Red Turqs still look like RTs, my wilds still look like wilds....the blues are the only ones that have faded. On juiced fish, would the fins hold the color better? I was just thinking like human hair can hold traces of substances from our past (sometimes used for drug tests, etc) maybe the fins would hold onto that permanent color better than the body? I don't know. Like I said, could be hormones, could be genes, could be both.....no exact way for me to tell.

These are all of the male from the first pictures.

-Matt

Real Name
    Rick

That is quite intereting, but I am not sure I would attibiute that as much to hormones as I would genetics. I am not even sure "juicing" a Blue diamond would even give the same results as other fish (red/orange etc). I think most likely this lightening can be attributed to age, and it's color loss almost parrellels that of a white butterfly.

Wish the fish were a little bit bigger, but I actually like the look of these, closest thing to snow white with red eyes I have seen......

Btw did you ever confirm this pair? They for some reason look smaller than they did when you posted the first pictures, are they healthy?
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 08-18-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

WOW...Totally shocked!...I never saw a change like that in a healthy Discus...Bill

Sham wow! That being said... they look like a strain all to their own, lol.

Real Name
    Matt

Never confirmed the pair other then watching them lay eggs. One laid eggs the other made passes with a different shaped tube so I labeled it a male. No fry. They are about the same size as original photo, but I put them in a larger tank with larger fish (some Piwowarski jumbos, wilds, etc) so those photos are a bit of a trick on the eyes. No visible confines of the tank to give size reference. I got them from mike at around the 5-5.5" mark.
    -Matt

WOW!! That is a huge change, they also look smaller than previous pictures but I could be wrong.

Matt the ones from Eric looks also like yours?
    -Ismael

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast