tank-46gal
    fish- 3 discus, 4 corydorus
    ph-6.4
    nitrite-.50ppm
    nitrate- 5.0
    amonia- less then 1.0
    temp 80

wc- 25% every other day

symptoms began yesterday- breathing fast and heavy - ate a full meal last night, this morning still breathing heavy, wouldn't eat
    background - good tank health wise with very healthy fish fed earthworm, beefheart, mixed flake, and discus granuals - sizes of fish - 6inch, 5inch, 4.5 inch
    My wife bought me a rena canister filter for christmas - I installed it Saturday morning, I also added gravel and a fluval therm with digital read out. Saturday night I realized something was wrong with the therm- the temp had dropped to 76. I immediately added the original therm and the temp was back to 80 around midnight. Also in the process of changing the gravel I added new amonia chips ( which are changed monthly) and about a half media tube of crushed coral to bring the ph up a bit from 6.0. I'm guessing the ph change could cause the breathing to be fast but I didn't think it was that drastic and it wasn't all that fast either. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Odd breathing behavior

Forgot to mention- tank is a little cloudy

lots going on with all the changes, looks like you are going through a mini cycle.

Anything I can do to make it easier on them? Its funny you say that because as I was changing the filter I was thinking that.

Try Stability. I have used for new tank, new water and new fish all in one day. Use for the week recommended and it keeps cycling from affecting the fish.

I would just do water changes with prime/safe until the cycle passes

Up your WC to 50% twice a day and keep an eye on the nitrite levels. It should be zero. Adding salt will reduce the nitrite levels. Your corys may not like it.

I just got home from work and I gotta tell you i'm baffled. Changing the filter and adding more gravel must have thrown the cycle. The are still breathing heavy but eating and swimming around. No sign of known illness. Pectorals flapping away - I just don't get it. Tank is more cloudy then this morning. Will do a WC but i'm thinking it was a shift in the cycle.