ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Should I have more babies?

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Should I have more babies?

Ok, I used a sensationalized title to attract your attention. But here is my situation. As some of you know, I have 7 wild Cuipeua discus in a 80g tank. Few months ago, a pair was formed and I was able to successfuly get a batch of 50 beautiful babies. The whole afair was narrated in another thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...was-travelling

In the meantime, another pair formed in the community tank and it started to lay several batches of eggs. I decided that I do not have room, time and conditions to raise two batches of fry, so I have ignored the eggs, which always got eaten by the parents or other fish anyway. However, pair number two laid a second batch of egss on Friday and I found a HUGE number of wrigglers today:

Now, that image is just beautiful and I cannot come to terms to abandoning them. I am therefore considering trying to raise this second batch. I could introduce a divider in the tank, as I did with pair one, and save these fry. However, I will be travelling for two weeks (February 5-18). If the wriggles go free swimming tomorrow, this means that I would not be able to take care of tehm between their third and fourth weeks of life. My question: would they develop well without BBS and feeding only from the parents during those two weeks? Or would that be too risky?

Should I try to raise these babies or not?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Should I have more babies?

Some considerations Mauro; first by the third week the fry may not be eating from their parents. Second if you have a huge amount of fry they can eat on the parents down to skin and into the meat. Perhaps it is best to let this batch go unless you can get a baby sitter who can watch and take action if needed.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

No you should not.....What you need to do is to place the new trouble making pair in a box and send them straight to Caddo Mills, Texas....

-john

P.S. Beautiful pair.
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

That's between you and your wife. Not sure how it relates but that's a beautiful pair of Discus.
    - Dan

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    No you should not.....What you need to do is to place the new trouble making pair in a box and send them straight to Caddo Mills, Texas....

-john

P.S. Beautiful pair.
    Don't send them to John. You would never see them again. But he is within driving distance of New Orleans.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Mauro,

I do not see a need to rearrange the tank to see what happens with this spawn, especially if you are going to be gone during the third-fourth weeks of development. Worst case scenario the fry are gone when you get back which is what I would expect. Best scenario the fry find micro-organisms to eat in an well established biotope tank just like they would in the wild and you have some healthy growing fry when you return
    Mark

Registered Member

Yes, for sure!
    And send me some to São Paulo!

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Some considerations Mauro; first by the third week the fry may not be eating from their parents. Second if you have a huge amount of fry they can eat on the parents down to skin and into the meat. Perhaps it is best to let this batch go unless you can get a baby sitter who can watch and take action if needed.
    Thanks, Pat. I guess you are right, the risks are too high.

No you should not.....What you need to do is to place the new trouble making pair in a box and send them straight to Caddo Mills, Texas.....
    John, I love the "trouble" that the pair is causing. I am discussing the destiny of the fry, not of their parents May be after I move to New Orleans we can exchange some discus :P

P.S. Beautiful pair.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DLock3d View Post
    That's between you and your wife. Not sure how it relates but that's a beautiful pair of Discus.
    Thanks. I will tell my wife the experts from SD recommended a route. She will believe me

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Don't send them to John. You would never see them again. But he is within driving distance of New Orleans.
    Thanks for the alert, Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    Mauro,

I do not see a need to rearrange the tank to see what happens with this spawn, especially if you are going to be gone during the third-fourth weeks of development. Worst case scenario the fry are gone when you get back which is what I would expect. Best scenario the fry find micro-organisms to eat in an well established biotope tank just like they would in the wild and you have some healthy growing fry when you return
    Thanks, Mark. That makes a lot ot sense. I will try that route. Let the destiny decide if any of them will survive...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Yes, for sure!
    And send me some to São Paulo!
    São Paulo is much closer than Caddo Mills, but I will keep my pair, Vanessa Do you want to drive to Rio to pick up some fry? Nice to see another Brazilian in the forum.