ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wetspottropical

Default Re: wetspottropical

Hey all,
    Last review was a few years back. Anymore recent first hand Feedback for Wet spot Tropicals? How do they conduct business currently? Any Issues?Good or Bad experiences? I'm not looking at them for Discus, but interested in some "other" fishes they have.

First hand feedback only please.

Thanks,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Steve

They're relatively close to me so I've bought cory's and dithers, as well as plants from them. All with good results. Easy/reasonable overnight shipping to me. I've shopped their website, then called. We usually agree to proceed via email if they need to get back to me. Card numbers over the phone. I think they have a retail store, but also a separate building for their online stock.

I've bought from them over the years. My last order was just a couple of months ago. Usually apistos but got some really nice Elec Blue Rams this time also. I've always been happy with my purchases from them.

Elec Blue Ram by Larry Bugg, on Flickr
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I got some wild rams last summer. Everything was fine, they came in a little thin but healthy, and they fattened up over time.

Wetspot is my "go to" for wild African and South American characins, as well as wild corydoras. Recently, last week, I had delivered a group of biotodoma cupido and corydoras eques-- excellent specimens.
    I have ordered at least 5 times in the last year and the quality, service, and delivery is impeccable. And, most importantly, not a single fish loss even though the varieties I have purchased would be considered more sensitive than others. I would recommend them highly.

Thanks guys, sounds like they are good to work with,. If I use them I will let you know,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Tried to inquire about some wild ancistrus from Colombia a while back, but they were unwilling to take pictures. I was told that it "did not look like the other ancistrus we have." Guess they were banking on local customers to buy them.

I met them at NADA and liked them then. Barb had the table next to them and I hung out with Barb a lot. I bought fish from them from one of their ads on Aquabid. Their auction was for only males and I needed males and females. Even the wholesalers here didn't have females. The Wet Spot had them and didn't charge extra for them.

Fear not, Al. Mama Bear says that they are a good company to deal with, and you know that mama bears have the protective instinct.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I have odrered wetspottropicals several times and always have been happy with the fish they have sent me. I've ordered C.Sajica's from them several times and are always great healthy looking fish. Also have ordered Rams from them also good quality to. The fish were always packed excellent and arrived in great shape. They usually ship next day which I always prefer!! Thinking of getting some of their wild giant kribensis rite now. But I will be looking to see when they get more Sajica's in the future. HTH!!
    Tom

Registered Member

I have ordered from them 4-5 times with at least 3 of those being in the past year. Only time I had any losses was when UPS got lost and did not deliver my package and took it back to their warehouse until I could pick it up after work. That was in the middle of the texas summer and I lost 4-5 lemon tetras I ordered but they gave me credit for them on my next purchase even though it was a few years later. I order mainly characins, and apisto's from them but got some nice wild green discus just before the holidays and honestly they are probably better than some of the discus I have got from other vendors that sale here...I would not hesitate to do business with them again.

They do not post pictures of the actual fish for sale. Three or so times now I've gotten incorrectly labeled South American cichlids. This isn't a problem in some cases (once I got something rare for the price of something common) but in a few instances they have sold fairly common wild-caught fish as something rare when they aren't. No one wants to drop $70 each on something that you can pick up from other vendors for $20. Other than species ID issues, I've had ich a couple of times from them, but I expect that in the colder months from most retailers because they're moving such large quantities of fish. I quarantine everything so it's not a huge issue. I can't say I've ever had bad quality fish from them, even when the ID was wrong.

Real Name
    Shari

I just received my fish order from them and everything was looked great! I will order more fish from this company. Top notch service quality fish.

Real Name
    Bill

Just thought I'd add to the chorus of folks who've had good experiences with them. I got things like Sterbai cories and rummynose from them that some of you might be considering, as well as several species of tetras, cichlids (bolivian rams), as well as plecos, freshwater shrimp and snails. This was all about two years ago. Shipping was excellent--I seem to recall small cubes of polyfilter in their bags--and customer service was, too. No extras, but no losses, either. I spoke to one of their employees on the phone about some options especially among the tetras for a particular setup and felt like I got good advice. Their prices aren't rock bottom on certain animals but their selection and quality makes them well worth considering. Some others may offer cheaper shipping, so personally I'd be inclined to go back to them for a larger order, or perhaps for something that was uncommon or a bit sensitive.

The only extra bit of info I might convey that others haven't is that, at least when I ordered in 2016, they were willing to provide an educational discount that I think was 10% off. I was setting up a couple of tanks in a public space--the lobby in my building on a college campus--and they were nice enough to give me the discount. I imagine if others were public school teachers or maybe members of aquarium societies that did educational programming, they might accommodate.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mickie

I've ordered 3 different species of Apisto from them (Cacatuoides super red, Eunotus, and Borellii Blue) and they always arrived in great health and with awesome coloration. They always looked as good as, if not better than google images pics of said species.

They're super nice on the phone and will take their time with you. They send out confirmation emails and time expectancies for delivery. Just a really good experience overall.

It looks like The Cichlid Exchange is the wholesale side of their business, and if you watch Aquarium Co-Op videos, almost all his fish come from them. That being said, their discus look very basic, mostly Turqs.

Real Name
    Kevin

I ordered some Hillstream loaches, Kuhli loaches, Pearl gourami's, and wild cardinal tetras from them for my non discus tank. One of the kuhli loaches was DOA and half the cardinal's died within 3 days. Shipping and customer service was great. I didn't bother asking for a refund on the loach because it wasn't worth the 6 bucks to take photo's and send emails back and forth. I will certainly use them again for any specialty fish that I can't find locally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12