AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: persistan white dots

Default persistan white dots

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

I have a problem with a few white dots showing up on my Discus' fins. It's been persistent for over a month. I first noticed it on one of my 4 adult discus (only 4 or 5 little dots). First step was to treat the tank with salt. After 2 weeks that cleared in up on the one fish that had it. A week later I noticed it had moved to a second fish. I decided to take more direct action and treated the entire tank for one week with Furan-2. That cleared it up on the second fish but 1/2 way through the Furan-2 treatment I noticed it has now jumped to a 3rd fish. This 3rd fish only has 3 small dots on it's tail fin but I'd like to see this gone from the tank completely.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Only see the small white dots mentioned above. Other than that the fish are happy and healthy.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Salt & Furan-2

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

65 gallon tank. Four 5' fish. (Getting 2 more as soon as I clear this issue up) 3 are around 10 years old & one is 2 years old.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

BB tank, water aged and conditioned in 55 gallon drum, 75% every day. (normally every other day)

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 31 Celsius

- ph 6.8

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 5-10ppm

- well water no

- municipal water yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently - no

I'd like to avoid using Quick Cure because I don't want to stain the silicone in my tank. It's only a year old so. That being said, if it's the best plan of attack I'll suck it up and use it.
    Last edited by -gb-; 01-23-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    - don't eat my fish

Default Re: persistan white dots

Sorry the title of this thread was suposted to be "Persistent" white dots.
    - don't eat my fish

sounds like ick to me .i have been able to get rid of it with salt and heat alone on african cics.never had with discus so maybe someone will chime in
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Registered Member

Does the white dots protrude out? If so and you have temp at 31 degree Cel it is likely bacterial growth on the fins instead of Ick. When I had that I just treated it with Furan 2 and it went away. Sometime it will go away on its own with clean water.

Yes the dots do protrude out. One or two of them seem to be barley hang on just at the tip of the tail.
    - don't eat my fish

pic:

- don't eat my fish

yep that is not ick
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

one more pic:

- don't eat my fish

Thanks cjr8420, hopefully someone can help identify. Knowing what it isn't is also helping

It's not a big problem at this point but in 2 weeks I go for a weeks vacation so I'm trying to fix this before I go. I'd hate to come back and have this be a full blown problem.
    - don't eat my fish

I've had the same thing with white spots on the fins, not really ich but definitely something. It went away after a month or so with daily complete water and good tank hygiene practices.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

Thanks lipadj46, that will be my plan of attack. I tore down my entire setup over the weekend and scrubbed down every inch of the tank and hoses for the 2nd time in the past two months. Everything is as clean as can be. I'll continue doing this unless someone chimes in with a more aggressive solution. ie meds.

& yes I have been doing daily water changes of 55gallons a day on a 65gallon tank. My storage barel is only 55gallons so that's as much as I can do.
    - don't eat my fish

Registered Member

Its nothing serious, just build up of bacteria. Sounds like you are keeping water clean so it should go away. If it does not go away or get worse do another round of Furan and that should take care of it. I've had this couple of times, once it went away with Furan, another it went away with just clean water.

Thanks lifan23, I'll keep an eye on it and report back.
    - don't eat my fish