AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiping tanks

Default Re: Wiping tanks

Wipe it once a week. I use one of the handheld aquarium scrubbers to get algae and any other stuff of the glass.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Every week or two with a mag float..
    -Ismael

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ROOK45 View Post
    Careful with the kitchen sponges....once upon a time I killed a whole tank of temensis cichla using a kitchen sponge. I dug through the garbage and found the wrapper for the said sponge and it clearly stated "not for aquarium use". Lesson learned THE HARD WAY.
    Lol my dollar store sponges don't even say it's safe to use to wash dishes with. Lol thanks for the heads up.

Yah I have learned I need to wipe down every night while I do water changes. But my Juvies are in a 20 gallon tank so they produce a lot of **** and slime,lol

What about planted tanks with other species in it? What about scavenger fish such as cory cats or plecos? Will they eat the slime? It seems to me if this is that same slime that feeds their young why not scavengers. I have raise a few discus in the past and never washed a tank wall down in a community tank with plecos in it. The only reason I lost my discus (and some other fish) is I had a heater go out and the temps dropped to 60 while I was at work. (I work 12 hour days) I assume the plecos were may have taking care of things.

I have a community plant tank also and I do not have to wipe the tanks down that much cause I have BN plecos and bottom fish and they seem to keep it clean. I just have to clean the juvie discus tank out every day cause i feed them a lot every day and their tank gets messed up a lot faster and its a smaller tank to. The plecos and other bottom fish do seem to keep my big plant tank very clean I only have to wipe it down maybe once a week if even that and my discus do fine in that tank too. I do change the water 50% water every other day though.

My 6 full grown ancistrus plecos (L213) do not eat the slime from driftwood or tank walls of my 75g. They have grown lazy and fat in a discus tank as they have learned to clean up the super beefheart flake that the discus cannot find. In my tank if I don't wipe down every other day/water change thinks get gross, it is pretty well overstocked at this point though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12