ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: When to transfer juvies to larger tank?

Registered Member

Default When to transfer juvies to larger tank?

I have 12 juvies in a standard 40 gallon breeder tank (bare bottom) for the last month or so. They were all 1 1/2" when i purchased them. They are now all in the 2 1/2" range with a couple of them bumping 3".

They do not look overcrowded in this tank yet, but, i do not want to stun their growth.

I have a 75 gallon waiting for them an am wondering when is the proper time to transfer them.

I have been doing 40% water changes every other day and my schedule will not allow for greater water changes.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ted

Default Re: When to transfer juvies to larger tank?

They're getting close to transfer size now. Give them another month or so, till they all get to be 3" or slightly larger, then move them. 12 discus should be placed in a tank larger than 75 gals. when they get larger than 4". Max. 8 fish of near adult size would be ok in a 75 gal tank.
    Hope this helps.

Registered Member

Thanks, I was plannng on 6 adults in the 75 when they get that size. I just couldn't find any info on when to transfer for maximum growout.

When I was breeding angel I always removed the eggs but discus are different. I guess it would be better to leave the parents in the tank and transfer the kids that is if you are not breeding them again.