Thread: Dark, flat long fence - Need helps

Real Name
    Tony

Lightbulb Dark, flat long fence - Need helps

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

About a week, they turn dark again

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

2 discus always dark, 1 still eat (5") and other not. the one not eating stay at the bottom (5.5") and other just dark still swim around.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

4 weeks ago - treated Furan2

move them to hospital tank
    pass 2 days - salt dip @ 2 tablespoon per gallon.
    today will be 3rd day salt dip but notice 3+ inches long flat fence (single fence pass out and this is the one not eating), not cotton, tranparent fence.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

they were in 150G tank, total of 14 discus from 4.5" - 6.5", tank has running about 2 yrs.

the eatting one - 5"
    other not eating, long fence - 5.5"

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

2 times a week 70% WC, bare bottom, no age water, prime.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __85.5___

- ph _____never test but city report 7.8

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __5__

- well water _NO___

- municipal water _Yes___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
    No

I have metro, prazi pro, bifuran, flubendazole, salt in hands, What is my best next step?

thank you in advance
    Last edited by MKD; 01-26-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Registered Member

Default Re: Dark, flat long fence - Need helps

Tony, are the fish just dark or do they have any bacterial build up or parasite externally? I had a discus turn dark recently with no external symptoms but with fast breathing. I treated with 1.5 times dosage of Metro twice a day for a week and it recovered. I put in epsom salt with it as well at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon. i also bumped temp to 91 degrees and only changed water once a day (so 2 metro doses per water change).

Also when I do salt baths for external infections I do 3 tablespoons per gallon. I just watch the fish to make sure its not turning sideways. If it does I keep adding 1 cup of water from the tank at a time to dilute it a bit until fish swims upright. Never lost a fish from salt dips using this method. Some fishes handle 3 tablespoon per gallon fine without having to add any water.

Good luck.

Real Name
    Tony

Thank you Peter . That is what I m planning to do it today with prazi pro but I want to make sure your 1.5 dose is same with my dose. My bottle instruction 1/4teaspoon treats ~42 gallon but I dose it in 20g tbe 2x stronger.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Registered Member

Hey Tony, yea I think we use the same metro (mine is from Kensfish). My bottle says 1/4 teaspoon treats 42 gal, I just dose slightly less then 1/4 teaspoon for 20 gallon twice a day. Just curious, are you planning on using prazi because you think there might be internal parasites like worms?