ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Anyone else like Wool?

Default Anyone else like Wool?

After talking with my supplier, Mal in Australia about the heat wave they are having I feel kind of guilty with this thread....but its been pretty darn cold out here in CT the last few days... and made me realize that sometimes, the timeless old things really are better.... in this case wool.

You know that often scratchy stuff that comes from sheep that is then made into sweaters, socks, and blankets...yep thats the stuff and man I love it in the winter, or a cool night of camping or even in the summer as a boot sock. What an incredible natural material.... warm even when wet, naturally flame resistent, renewable...incredible.

I've got wool sweaters that I have literally had now for decades, nothing keeps me warmer. wool Hiking socks are my staple here,even when its warm. But my all time favorites are 100 % wool blankets..heavy military style and military surplus blankets. I have a bunch of these that just can't be beat on the coldest, dampest night.

Why am I so happy about this now...I just scored 2 really great 100% wool Italian Officers blankets that I got at a fair price. Its harder and harder to find 100% wool...most of the military style blankets are 30%,50% ,70% , 0r 80% wool, with the balence synthetics. They can be decent blankets... but not as good or durable or heavy as the 100% wool ones, IME.

Anyone else like wool? Any campers, hikers, surivalists, or preppers out there? I admit it.. I am closet prepper...my closet is full of gear for any disaster or problems we may face.. (my wife would say its actually a whole storeroom)

Just curious ,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone else like Wool?

I love to knit and crochet with 100% wool yarn. You are right, no manmade yarns are as warm as wool. My wool slippers that I made several pairs of, are waaay warmer in winter than any other one. I make them huge, wash in hot water and soap, they become felted wool and the thickness and warmth can't be beaten. I make hats and mittens this way too. Nothing warmer!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Wow it's funny what brings back the memories. When I was first on the ambulance service we had sleeping quarters in an old converted carriage house. There was very little insulation and electric heat. The only thing that kept us warm were multiple wool blankets piled on the beds.

NO way this goes back to when I was 6 or 7 yrs old mom would put wool sweater on me for church felt like I had some kind of bugs eatin me up.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfar View Post
    NO way this goes back to when I was 6 or 7 yrs old mom would put wool sweater on me for church felt like I had some kind of bugs eatin me up.
    Lol...yep the itch is a pain...but I have noticed over the years that it bothers me less and less... Tell you what though, theres a reason why every humanitarian and rescue work crew carry wool blankets even to this day...warmth...even when wet....either that or they figure the itch will make you snap out of shock Paul.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Well I'm not hard core like you Al, but I do have one very nice Hudson's Bay Point Blanket that I love to use this time of year. It's probably pushing 40 years old, but it's stored in it's original box when not being used and it still looks great.
    President - North American Discus Association

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Well I'm not hard core like you Al, but I do have one very nice Hudson's Bay Point Blanket that I love to use this time of year. It's probably pushing 40 years old, but it's stored in it's original box when not being used and it still looks great.
    I would love to have a Hudson Bay Blanket Keith... Truth is my wife would prefer I did if cost wasnt a factor...as they not only are functionally great at warmth...they actually look good...which is something I can't argue with my wife about and Keep a straight face when talking about my wool ones...Army Green, drab sand brown, or a dull "white Stripe" just doesn't qualify as Good looking linens to her! I have no idea why?
    -al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    CozyKeith

I usually have to fight with my wife to put it on because she complains it's so heavy. When it gets cold enough, I always win though. The blanket I've got is white with a single blue bar. Like you said Al, nothing warmer.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

I just went out and priced my blanket, YIKES! I just hadn't thought about it, but I remember my folks paying good money for those blankets when they bought them so I suppose it figures. You know Al, after seeing that price, you bring one of those blankets down to the Ace paint counter and get a nice complimentary color to paint the bedroom walls, I bet that blanket would look dang nice.

thick 80%+ wool socks are a staple for me in the winter.only socks i can wear around the house with no shoes and keep my feet warm.
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi Al.
    As you mentioned we were going through a bit of a heat wave over here, but melbourne being melbourne, it changes very quickly....so all my woolen garments have been packed away for a little while....well all except for my woolen fishing jumper which l wear in the early morning trips out in the boat. Like you said its warm even if damp or wet. Another one of nature's marvels which luckily we have adapted to
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

I wear wool socks all the time, my feet used to never get warm from September thru June! Nothing like wool socks! I used to have some really nice old blankets I used for winter camping and when I drove over-the-road, not sure what happened to them.

Real Name
    Chris

Wool socks and sweaters are a necessity in the Pacific northwest. I usually put a cotton shirt or turtleneck under the sweater to solve the itchiness. Wool coolers are a staple for our horses as well.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thought Id bump this thread been a few years since I posted it. Just got to remembering it as I dug out my favorite wool blankets for the season.

Anyone else a fan of wool?

Yeah I know its a strange question but I will tell you what...you cant beat wool if you are an outdoors enthusiast. And if you break down on a cold winters night...having a wool blanket in the trunk as part of a cold weather kit is a life saver!

Me, I just really like the simplicity and timelessness of a good wool blanket.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com